Making Gluten Free Beer from Regular Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewgar

Home Brewer
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I've discovered that I'm somewhat sensitive to gluten, and have begun to brew ~ gluten free using ClarityFerm, which works OK for me. However, there is a lot of bottled beer in my pipeline which is not gluten free.

Proposal: Sterilize sufficient DME in 2.5 gallons of water for a wort with say OG 1.050, chill it, add to fermentation vessel, open bottles of pipeline beer, pour into fermenter up to 5 gallon mark, add generous yeast, a vial of ClarityFerm, ferment at an appropriate temperature for say 3 weeks, then bottle, condition, and age as usual.

Seems to me this would work. What do you think?

Thanks Cooler. I'm going to give this a try. If it works, will recycle about 20 gallons of previously made and bottled gluten beer spread out over the course of my next 10 five gallon batches.

I have become sensitive to the gluten in my existing beers. Last three batches included ClarityFerm, and those cause me no problems.

Back