Making First Starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jpc8015

Reaction score
I want to make my first yeast starter. Can I do this using a 1 quart or 2 quart Mason jar? My wife does a ton of canning and has a bunch of jars leftover. It would be a lot cheaper than buying the Earlenmeyer flask.

You can use a mason jar. Just make sure it's sanitized, fill with cooled wort, add yeast, and put some foil on top. Make a suitable starter for the sg of the wort. Mr malty is a good source to make sure you get a decent cell count for the beer your brewing.

I use a half-gallon jar from the LHBS for it, $3. Note that when I plug in my numbers for a session-strength beer, without a stir plate Beersmith 2 suggests a 1 liter starter for my 2.5 gallon batches, so adjust accordingly with a calculator of some kind for a full 5 gallon batch.

From what I'm able to discern, the only real advantage to a flask is being able to boil in it, which I'm not bothered about. That and looking like an awesome chemistry experiment... :D

I use a Gatorade plastic drink bottle because my air lock fits nicely. I think any container will work as long as you sanitize it.

Back