Making beer less "gassy"

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eharris8310

Reaction score
I love beer but not the after effects. Does anybody have any ideas about how to reduce the gas produced by beer? I woul love to be able to just add another ingredient or change procedures to eleminate the problem.

The green gas is caused by consuming brewers yeast. It will go away after your body's use to it. Hold your nose till then:^P

Stop drinking Milwaukee's Best. A bowl of vinison chilli and a couple of those will destroy the o-zone, or at least thats what Albert Gore told me.

I went through the same thing. I found that not drinking green beer (anything less than 3 weeks in the bottle I consider green) usually resulted in horrid gas in my beers I now just let it sit, and then refrigerate for a few days after that period, and all the yeast seems to drop out and compact on the bottom. Pour slowly and carefully, trying not to pour the last 1/2" of beer into the glass. Usually you will be able to see the yeast coming, and with deliberately slow and steady pouring, you can use the shoulder of the bottle to keep the yeast from getting into the glass. It helped me out a lot, and taught me some very important brewer patience. Enjoy!

Whats wrong with a little gas ?? I enjoy a good beer fart. Gas can be very romantic,just cut loose, and pull the covers over you and your wifes head.

The Dutch oven move.....classic.

we call that a covered wagon in my parts. my wife actually gave herself a covered wagon when i had bad gas one day. I farted loud and her natural instinct said jump under the covers. haha

Well, some of you have been helpful. Others, thanks for the lessons in romance but I think I will pass on that.

Gas is also caused by the long sugar chains - (no yeast in beans!) that the intestines have to process.

Fortunately, given time, the body can adjust to your homebrew...

I'm still a fairly newb hb drinker - less than a year, and definitely suggest giving the beer time. The worst fireworks have occurred when I've drunk a "trub" bottle or greener beer.

But the complex sugar factor also applies. I can get pretty gassy from other things - onions, chiles. The last 3 weekends I've taken 3 Beanos before beer and it has helped some. You might try it.

Back