Making a starter on brew day?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rockindaddy

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I usually make my starters the day before I brew with yeast I've washed from previous batches. However, sometimes I forget, so I make the starter in the morning before I start brewing on brew day which means it sits for 4-5 hours before I pitch. Is this a waste of time or is it still helpful?

I usually make Amber Ales or Nut Brown Ales. Nothing too big.

I usually make my starters the day before I brew with yeast I've washed from previous batches. However, sometimes I forget, so I make the starter in the morning before I start brewing on brew day which means it sits for 4-5 hours before I pitch. Is this a waste of time or is it still helpful?

I usually make Amber Ales or Nut Brown Ales. Nothing too big.
Hi. I think as long as your slurry or washed yeast isn't too old, you're fine.
Read this on Vitality Starters to see what I mean. Ed
:mug:

Ive done this before, realized I forgot to make a starter on brew day.
I kinda liked pitching the starter at high krausen, It made the batch kick off fermentation within a few hours which was sorta nifty.

In the book "Yeast" they do mention that many Brewers pitch at high krausen, they do not specifically vouch for it or against it so I'm sure to their extensive knowledge they haven't found issues with it.

Only downside I see is if the starter wort ended up adding an unwanted characteristic to the beer if the starter was big enough. Most of my brews are 1.70 or higher with many being near the 1.80 - 1.90 range so i don't feel it's an option for me.

You're essentially "waking up" the yeast and not doing a starter bc you're not going to get significant enough growth in that short time frame. If you have enough of your slurry to start with, having active yeast to pitch is good

I've never done this however the Vitality starter was a thing Brulosopher researched and I know at least one guy in my brew club does it. I harvest from my starters which is the main reason I haven't done it. Waking the yeast up for 4-6 hours while brewing is probably going to help kick off fermentation just like pitching at high krausen. This would be helpful and as long as you don't let your wort sit too long you should be fine.

Latest posts

Back