Making a starter for surly furious kit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Haasobrew

Reaction score
1335 British Ale II wyeast. 1/2 cup muttons light dme. 3 cups water. 2000 ml flask. 1/8 tsp fermax.

Boiled everything but the yeast for about 4 minutes then cooled it down to room temp & pitched.

Tomorrow will be my second shot at all grain brewing.

image-3583346588.jpg

image-3791193874.jpg

Yup. Anybody every tried surly furious? I got the kit hoping for a delicious ipa, never tried the stuff though.

image-3044912148.jpg

image-541551877.jpg

It's an awesome beer. My clone came out great- but it wasn't an exact clone. It's my favorite commercial beer, if that tells you anything!

That's a pretty small starter compared to mine though- I think mine was about 2L or so because I think I had an OG of 1.070ish. My my starters, I do 1/2 cup DME per 2 cups water- yours might be a bit low in gravity. (I just multiply for the size I need- so 1.5 cups for 6 cups water, etc).

Yep. Northern brewer / surly collaboration. Should be the real recipe. I'm excited about it. Should I maybe try to step up the starter? Or will that do the trick

lumpher said:
so those of us here in the south are left out :(

I'm in Louisiana. We're left out of the real surly, but order an official surly furious "recipe" kit(not clone) and make youself some. The beauty of homebrew

I have never had the real stuff here in Delaware, but the kit from northern brewer was great. My only complaint was an error in my process. The kit requires a large amount of hops added to the secondary for dry hopping. I did not use a bag or anything else. They kept clogging my siphon and making the kegging stage a real issue. Otherwise turned out awesome!

I'll be kegging this kit in less than a week. I'm very excited. Even though I'm in the south, I did get to tour Surly on a visit to MN just a couple months ago. Awesome beers coming out of that place.

Oh, one small tip- I found that that 1335 is pretty slow to show signs of life. It took 36 hours before my carboy showed any activity. It also took about 48 hours to see any activity in a starter I made after harvesting some off the primary of my Furious batch. Just be patient with it!

Cheers!

Nice brew day today. That's the surly with the blowoff rig. This is my first blowoff setup, so somebody let me know if it doesn't look right. I had a bit of an issue with time management . Had to rack secondary to keg and, rack primary to secondary and clean and sanitize everything on the fly in order to make room for the surly that was mid-boil. By the time I got the primary ready to fill, the boil had gone for about 25 minutes over the 60 minutes. I ended up having to top off with water out of gallon jugs. This was my second all grain batch so my question is: is that going to be alright? I poured in about a half gallon of top off, which was always protocol for my extract batches, but I don't know how it works with ag. Next time I'll follow the golden rule of "always have primary ready to be sanitized before begining you brew day". All and all it was a good shot at it and I hope it'll come out delicious. On a sadder note, I just floated my keg of phat tire - belgian pale ale- type homebrew so rdwhahb is not possible at the moment.
Cheers

image-3510070970.jpg

1335 hard at work this morning. ~12 hours after pitching. It's going to be a long 6 weeks

I imagine the extra long boil could lessen the hop aromas, don't worry though, you'll still make beer.

This recipe calls for a couple ounce dry-hopped right? I betcha that'll help a lot.

The kits recipe looks great, does anybody know if you can get that kit without the yeast? If trying to clone Surly, a guy shoud be using WLP007...IMO.

The kits recipe looks great, does anybody know if you can get that kit without the yeast? If trying to clone Surly, a guy shoud be using WLP007...IMO.

Here is a link for the kit inventory - you can easily build it yourself (adjusting for efficiency along the way).

http://www.northernbrewer.com/documentation/allgrain/AG-Furious_Pro_Surly.pdf

We have similar opinions about the graces of WLP007, and I kind of remember reading that they gave NB a "blessing" to use Wyeast with the kit, despite WLP007 actually being Surly's house yeast. I suppose that way it jives with the rest of the Wyeast offerings in NB kits.

I could have been dreaming, but I think I actually read that in the NB catalog.

Joe

Kit came with a big bag of several ozs of hops for the secondary so yep, should be nice and hoppy once I get that marinated in there.
Nothern brewers does let you opt for no yeast with the kit. Ive only been in the brewing game about half a year, so I don't know much about different strains of yeast. Whats the deal with wlp007 vs 1335?

Oh nevermind- answered before I could ask

Latest posts

Back