Making a 1bbl batch of wine anything I need to know?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

akthor

Reaction score
So I've got a free 1bbl conical so I figure I'll make a 1bbl batch of Apfelwine. Up to this point I've made 5 and 10 gallon batches.

So to make a 1bbl batch I figure I just scale the recipe up. Any issues with that?

Also it's an SS chronical it sits in our 2nd house on the lake which we only visit part time so I can keep the ambient temperature anywhere from 50 to 70. I also have a glycol chiller hooked to it. How much heat will this produce fermenting? Should I put the neoprene insulation on it and use the glycol to control the temps or leave the sleeve off and set the house temp to whatever?

Anything else I should know?

Looks like google says a bbl is 31 gallons, so it is not a big batch that will generate loads of heat. You won't need the glycol cooling for sure. I would choose a yeast that is tolerant of lower temperatures (white wine yeast) and wrap the tank with some sort of insulation. Many of the those white wine yeasts ferment slowly anyway and do not produce a lot of heat. I have a couple tanks that have been fermenting for the last month in mid-60's ambient temperature and they still aren't quite done!

So I've got a free 1bbl conical so I figure I'll make a 1bbl batch of Apfelwine. Up to this point I've made 5 and 10 gallon batches.

So to make a 1bbl batch I figure I just scale the recipe up. Any issues with that?

Also it's an SS chronical it sits in our 2nd house on the lake which we only visit part time so I can keep the ambient temperature anywhere from 50 to 70. I also have a glycol chiller hooked to it. How much heat will this produce fermenting? Should I put the neoprene insulation on it and use the glycol to control the temps or leave the sleeve off and set the house temp to whatever?

Anything else I should know?

Post how it goes. I too have an SS Conical and am looking to ferment kit wines in it and am interested in how it turns out.

Back