Make your own six back

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hehawbrew

Reaction score
I was at the only good beer store in my area last night. I usually only go when I'm in the mood for a barley wine or I'm out of HB.

I was checking out the make your own 6 pack section. They often have random bottles of DFH, troeggs, etc.

Last night I hit gold. Six good beers, all 10.5% or higher..... All for 9.99!

image-2614405182.jpg

At my preferred craft beer store they make every 12oz bottle available for the make your six pack. Since I am a variety drinker it's pretty much all I ever pick up.

Yeah,its nice when they stick those pricey-er ones in there.Like the 12.99 4 packs which often you can get a few or more of in your mixed-six pack. Im glad they do mixed-sixers because there are too many beers to try and buy all sixers of each.
I know a store as well that lets you pick right out of any sixers also just to make your own but you do have to pay "per bottle" that way but still better than being stuck with more of something you find mediocre.

A local liquor chain has offered "beer club" a few times. I signed up and payed up front for 3 months. You get 5 12 oz. beers and one bomber of there choosing for $15 a month.
Great deal! you are thinking..not so.
usually 2-3 of the beers are from a major manufacturer and part of there -craft beer- line. Some of the others taste as if there are simply clearing out old stock of non selling beers and rate pretty low on beer advocate. One bottle was actually still dusty. Out of the package you get one very tasty brew.

The club allowed me to taste beers I wound not have bought but for the $ it was not worth it. it also just seemed as a way for the chain to sell old beer that was taking up space.

To be fair the same store allow you to make your own sixer from there craft selection and you get a 10% discount.

Grossy said:
And then you decided to cook them?;)

Lol!

Those 21st amend barley wine cans are four for 16$ at the store!

I like the idea of making a six-er out of whatever is in stock.

I once found 10 arrogant bastard bottles mistakenly placed in my stores BYO 6pk section. They have some rule abt 3 of the same type per sixer max. Needless to say I bought 4 six packs that day. Including all the AB. It was still a $40case but filled with Stone, Great Lakes and Southern Tier it was well worth it.

There are two larger beer, wine and spirits stores here in Vancouver, Wa (I do not live in Canada), Total Wine and BevMo's. Total wine has a massive selection and is usually 85-90% of the cost of BevMo's.

Then there is a smaller independent beer only store called By The Bottle. Little more pricey, but they have a way better selection of import brews and other reserve beers.

I didn't know Widmer made a Doppelbock until I saw it at By The Bottle, but they want $20 for the bomber, so I passed lol.

My local supermarket has done this for a while and would often put expensive bottles in. However, I noticed one location started putting stickers on the caps.

This discourages customers from doing the old switcheroo but also probably stops bored stock boys from putting the wrong ones in. So the sweet deal is over. Still, it's nice to mix and match.

There is this place in North Augusta that I use to go to, they had a good selection. The best I had seen in the area yet. You just grabbed a six pack and made your own. Single bottle price, but you could always get a 4/6 pack of w/e you wanted that they had.

Then I found a new place that I think their selection is a lot better. They sell them in 4/6 packs, however you can break them to make your own. Plus the owner was real cool.

They used to mix and match any near me. Now it goes by shelf with 5 different price points. Still an awesome way to try a beer without getting stuck with more than you'd want.

I've been trying to find some of that '18 for weeks now. You make me want to jump in front of a truck with this post! All I want to do is trade some New Glarus 20th anniversary for some Weyerbacher 18 and you go off and get it in a pick your 6? Lucky bastard!

ObsidianJester said:
I've been trying to find some of that '18 for weeks now. You make me want to jump in front of a truck with this post! All I want to do is trade some New Glarus 20th anniversary for some Weyerbacher 18 and you go off and get it in a pick your 6? Lucky bastard!

Sorry! Lol! If it makes you feel worse, I enjoyed it with some delicious sushi last night!

Latest posts

Back