Make IPA Clear Again

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Breweries do what sells. Stay relevant or perish. I don't inherently fault breweries for having 8 hazy IPAs, one pastry stout, one fruited kettle sour, and one "other" for the lads (have to wonder how many big name craft lagers started as the brew crew shifty beer).

If you wanna blame anyone, blame drinkers.

And blame social media.

But mostly blame Untappd, RateBeer, and BeerAdvocate.

I'm good with doing what sells, but if you have 6 or 8 IPAs on tap, please make one of them a crisp representation of the style.

YES and THANKS for posting a pic of that beer specifically. Community is a local brewery and I love their Mosaic IPA. They do an oaked version that's really good too.

I've seen that double dry hopped version and have been naturally curious since I like the base beer a lot. But, I've resisted buying it because of the trend induced assumption that it was going to be another OJ beer. Thats what this trend has done to me. I've had to align descriptor words (juicy, tropical, double dry hopped) to the current NEIPA trend since I cant count on a brewery to differentiate on the label. So, I just avoid the beer completely unless I can find it on tap somewhere to try it first (a sample of course)!

Now that I know the DDH Moasic is clear, I'm going to have to grab some if I can find it again!

This sounds like those terms in and of themselves aren't an indication of a beer you don't want, they're just indicators of a beer that's likely to be hazy. So, to be clear, you're fine with an IPA being juicy, tropical and/or double dry hopped, as long as it's clear? This is completely about how it looks, not how it tastes?

Breweries do what sells. Stay relevant or perish. I don't inherently fault breweries for having 8 hazy IPAs, one pastry stout, one fruited kettle sour, and one "other" for the lads (have to wonder how many big name craft lagers started as the brew crew shifty beer).

If you wanna blame anyone, blame drinkers.

And blame social media.

But mostly blame Untappd, RateBeer, and BeerAdvocate.
You could also blame the fact that they are super delicious and taste amazeballs.

You could also blame the fact that they are super delicious and taste amazeballs.
Off topic but wtf are "amazeballs". I picture tiny testicles with arched eyebrows and little, gaping mouths. I have no interest in how you know what those taste like.

Off topic but wtf are "amazeballs". I picture tiny testicles with arched eyebrows and little, gaping mouths. I have no interest in how you know what those taste like.
il_570xN.422675239_cqzd_grande.jpeg

So, to be clear, you're fine with an IPA being juicy, tropical and/or double dry hopped, as long as it's clear? This is completely about how it looks, not how it tastes?

Sounds like you have a CLEAR understanding of this!

Sadly, these terms are now associated with the beers I prefer to avoid now. I know that this isn't true across the board. But as someone who likes trying new IPA's, the recent trend for the use of these terms means NEIPA. So, I pass on these terms when looking on the shelf for something new to take home...

Sounds like you have a CLEAR understanding of this!

Sadly, these terms are now associated with the beers I prefer to avoid now. I know that this isn't true across the board. But as someone who likes trying new IPA's, the recent trend for the use of these terms means NEIPA. So, I pass on these terms when looking on the shelf for something new to take home...

Wow, that's a shame. You're ruling out some fantastic beers with that attitude.

Just as I suspected...
IPA shampoo1.jpg

American IPA styles aren't meant for drinking. They're meant for washing. Explains their appearance and taste. I guess drinking these IPAs is just a newer and hipper version of the "Tide Pod Challenge".

This thread is a hoot. I agree with original premise however, and started a similar thread last year or so, but it got no traction. As a maker of lagers, most of the time, I'll add that sparkling clarity is a good sign and a sign of goodness.

On a more serious note, (just kidding)I wonder how all the rolly polly young men w man boobs will take it when they get older and the gout starts to kick in...and realize clear beer= lower purines, and reasonably hopped beer= lower on hormones(female, that is). haha

The write up on the can claimed this beer to be NEIPA style, I salivated in expectation of hazy, juicy, hoppy goodness. What I got instead was some weakly hopped, too bitter, caramel malt infused, and most infuriatingly of all, CLEAR "beer" in this obviously mislabeled can! How can you call this clear abomination a NEIPA!??

I suppose if you want something done right, ya gotta brew it yourself. Can't even see the hydrometer, now that's more like it!

Funny.. Their website doesn't even hint at Getaway IPA as being a NEIPA.

"Getaway:
Sometimes we all just need a Getaway. This medium bodied, IPA is packed with a bright, aromatic, citrusy nose. Leading with a hoppy bite of resinous pine and balance earthy finish.
At the moment it’s exclusively available in our tap room"

Sounds like a good brewery doing their part to MAKE IPA CLEAR AGAIN!! Bravo!

I wish everyone on HBT had the opportunity to sample a fresh pour of an Alchemist, Treehouse, Trillium, or other legit neipa brew at the source so they'd note they don't look like these totally opaque concoctions. Of the last few picks only the Juicy Bits pic looks on point...

Cheers!

The write up on the can claimed this beer to be NEIPA style, I salivated in expectation of hazy, juicy, hoppy goodness. What I got instead was some weakly hopped, too bitter, caramel malt infused, and most infuriatingly of all, CLEAR "beer" in this obviously mislabeled can! How can you call this clear abomination a NEIPA!??

I suppose if you want something done right, ya gotta brew it yourself. Can't even see the hydrometer, now that's more like it!

That Side Launch looks oxidized to me. However, I'm not familiar with the brand, so who knows? I'm going to +1 what Daytripper stated. I always feel that the further you get away from the source/origin of a food or drink the less likely it is that said food/drink is anything like the "real" thing. Bagels, Pizza, beef, beer etc etc.

Funny.. Their website doesn't even hint at Getaway IPA as being a NEIPA.

Sounds like a good brewery doing their part to MAKE IPA CLEAR AGAIN!! Bravo!

I can't speak to the discrepancy on their website, but the can clearly calls the beer a NEIPA. To that effect, they have failed to produce the claimed product, and that is not the mark of a good brewery. At best, they are trying to hype up sales of their IPA by associating it with the trendy NEIPA style, at worst.... their brewing skills need improvement, to put it politely.

I can't speak to the discrepancy on their website, but the can clearly calls the beer a NEIPA. To that effect, they have failed to produce the claimed product, and that is not the mark of a good brewery. At best, they are trying to hype up sales of their IPA by associating it with the trendy NEIPA style, at worst.... their brewing skills need improvement, to put it politely.

Not to defend them, but perhaps they filtered/centrifuged too fine on the way to Bright's and they did not catch it in packaging. If that is the case, it is more a case of poor cellaring/packaging/QA then the brewing skills per se.

If the above is the case, and they did catch it, but released it anyways... yeah, no bueno to say the least!

It seems to me that the simplest solution is to drop "New England Style IPA" from the label. That's the only thing wrong that I can see...

MAKE IPA CLEAR AGAIN!

Pretty darn fresh Green from Treehouse. Don't be jealous :cool: Even looks good as an untappd screenshot.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190416-195509_Untappd.jpg
    Screenshot_20190416-195509_Untappd.jpg
    349.4 KB · Views: 91
This is what I'm drinking now. It's delicious, it's balanced and it's certainly not a yeast smoothie. It's not clear, but it's not opaque either, sorta translucent. The haze in this particular venture comes from the dry hops and the 1lb of wheat I added to the bill. So according to the haters, is this not an IPA?

RBXtvkn.jpg
Haze from hops and grain is one thing and the flavor can be amazing. When I order an IPA and could swear I am seeing pieces of gunk floating around that I myself don't find appealing. I drink more pale ales these days because of this.

I think thats the other beer called Orange. Or, maybe thats the bottom of a keg... Hard to say really from visual clues.
I think most craft newbies are turned off with a unclear beer at first. It took me awhile to get over it myself and realize that taste is more important than looks. Have you ever noticed that the majority of questions about filtering come from new brewers? Cheers

I think most craft newbies are turned off with a unclear beer at first. It took me awhile to get over it myself and realize that taste is more important than looks. Have you ever noticed that the majority of questions about filtering come from new brewers? Cheers

I think its all the newbs that are being duped into thinking that clarity doesnt matter and that IPA looks like OJ. The bandwagon cheerleaders that are willing to accept mediocrity because everyone's doing it.

Go ahead, enjoy the devolution. I'll stick with IPA's that I can see through and avoid the glass of yeast.

MAKE IPA CLEAR AGAIN

I think its all the newbs that are being duped into thinking that clarity doesnt matter and that IPA looks like OJ. The bandwagon cheerleaders that are willing to accept mediocrity because everyone's doing it.

Go ahead, enjoy the devolution. I'll stick with IPA's that I can see through and avoid the glass of yeast.

MAKE IPA CLEAR AGAIN
Enjoy clear beer for the Masses. I'll enjoy my craft beer regardless if its hazy. Cheers

KEEPS IPA TASTING GOOD AND LEAVE CLEAR BEERS FOR THE BMC CROWD

Last edited:
Back