Maitake mushroom, (hen of the woods) tough to chew, any suggestions?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dland

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I found a large maitake mushroom in my yard. A lot of recipes say just to saute in butter or olive oil. I tried this, and the flavor is good, but it is quite tough. I guess it is an older mushroom.

Anyone have any cooking suggestions to make it more consumable?

Slow cooker/crock pot, soups is what I prefer for them and the Shitakii.

Poopyyakii!!! LOL! Gotta thank @passedpawn for that one! :ban:
Aw dang it. That is my fault. I'd fix it (there is a way) but I don't have access to that part of the forum settings anymore.

I have a large bag of dried sh1take mushrooms in my kitchen. I put then in near-boiling water for about half an hour, squeeze them dry, then stir fry with them. They are still a little tough, so I prefer to just use the caps (stems are hard) and slice them in strips. I'm making hot and sour soup with them this weekend:

https://www.thekitchn.com/recipe-hot-sour-soup-weeknight-dinner-recipes-from-the-kitchn-97281

Thanks for the replies, what is a good way to store them for future use? I do have a food dehydrator, or should I just shred and freeze?

I dehydrate my mushrooms at 115f, keeps the nurtrients at that temp, then bag them and use as required by rehydrating them.

Poopyyakii!!! LOL! Gotta thank @passedpawn for that one! :ban:
Aw dang it. That is my fault. I'd fix it (there is a way) but I don't have access to that part of the forum settings anymore.

I have a large bag of dried sh1take mushrooms in my kitchen. I put then in near-boiling water for about half an hour, squeeze them dry, then stir fry with them. They are still a little tough, so I prefer to just use the caps (stems are hard) and slice them in strips. I'm making hot and sour soup with them this weekend:

https://www.thekitchn.com/recipe-hot-sour-soup-weeknight-dinner-recipes-from-the-kitchn-97281
it's shiitake, with two i's.

That doesn't help any woman named Ish!ta who joins the forum though.

Back