Magnum hops substitute

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I am using Magnum hops as a first addition in my American Amber Ale recipe. My distributor is not going to bring Magnum hops anymore so here are some of the options they have:
  • Bravo
  • Centenial
  • Cascade
  • Sterling
  • Chinook
  • Perle
  • Mandarina Bavaria
  • Hallertau Mittelfruh

Do you guys have any suggestions on what variety could do the job substituting Magnum? I would appreciate very much your help.

Regards

Last edited:
Based on Beersmith substitutes for Magnum are CTZ and Nugget. Since neither of them are on the list, I would go with Bravo. I enjoy that one as a bittering hop and used it as my bittering charge during yesterday's brew day. I would agree with Martin too about Perle being a good option. Below are what Beersmith says on Bravo and Perle. They seem to both list fruity and floral as the characters to them.

Bravo - A second generation super high alpha hops from the Hopsteiner breeding program released in 2006. Good bittering hop.
Aroma: Fruity and floral aroma.
Substitutes: Columbus, Zeus, Tomahawk

Perle - Perle has a spciy character, and the aroma is moderate and pleasing. Commonly compared to Hallertau Mittlefruh.
Used for: German ales, lagers, Plisner, Alt, Maisbier, Dunkle, Kolsch
Aroma: Delicate floral and fruity tones
Substitutes: Northern Brewer, Perle (U.S.), Hallertau Mittelfruh, Hallertau Aroma

If we're talking only an early bittering charge for what is essentially a balanced brew, you can use pretty much anything. I'd go with Centennial because it's both versatile (good for bittering, flavor, and aroma) and high in AA% (so you don't need to use as much).

I have used Bravo to bitter and dry hop with very good results. In both instances it was smooth and subtle, not harsh for the high AA.

Hello everyone,

I am using Magnum hops as a first addition in my American Amber Ale recipe. My distributor is not going to bring Magnum hops anymore so here are some of the options they have:
  • Bravo
  • Centenial
  • Cascade
  • Sterling
  • Chinook
  • Perle
  • Mandarina Bavaria
  • Hallertau Mittelfruh

Do you guys have any suggestions on what variety could do the job substituting Magnum? I would appreciate very much your help.

Regards

What are you using for your later additions?

Hello guys,

I ended up using Bravo hops for this batch. I am willing to try all other hops varieties and see what happens. Here is a pic of the beer. Thank you all for your advice!

27578772_416753332113542_6376409439502598144_n.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back