Made my first IPA...dryhop help/suggestions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tj218

Reaction score
Background:

I have always hated IPAs, ( I HATE resin and oily coatings) but recently I noticed my pallete has changed and I have really enjoyed some of the more English style IPAs (Goose Island & Brooklyn). Which aren't very resiny.

So I decided to make my first IPA batch, I did 3oz of EKG (2 @ 60, .5 @ 15, .5 @ 0). It has been sitting in primary for 7 days.

In the course of a week, my eyes have been opened, I was given a Union Jack IPA and I love it, so I'd like to add some of that same citrusy flavor to my IPA.

My questions:

1. I was wondering what I should you use to dryhop to get some of the Union Jack style citrus, how much and will it go ok with the EKG? I don't want any resin flavor.

2. Do I have to rack to secondary ?

3. How long do I let the pellets sit for?

Thanks!

I'm new to home brewing so excuse me if I'm wrong I would think a citra hop would be a great addition if your wanting a citrus aroma

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

You can get some citrus aroma from CTZ (Columbus, Tomahawk, Zuess) and from Centennial and Cascade and Citra and Amarillo. Dry hoping will get you aroma only it will not add much if any citrus flavor. There may be the "appearance" of citrus flavor as your nose fools your tongue into believing there is citrus flavor because your brain smells it and tells your tongue its there.

That said, I am not sure how well citrus hops are going to mix with the spicy, woodsy EKG. Fuggles mixes well with EKG as would Styrian Goldings. Just in my opinion anyway.

I would use a more English hop in this batch and then go for an American IPA full of the citrus American Hops in the next --- but that's me ---

No you do not "Have to secondary" some do, some do not. I do not. I simply dry hop right in the primary bucket and 7 to 10 days minimum I would think.... normally I go 10 days then bottle.

You can get some citrus aroma from CTZ (Columbus, Tomahawk, Zuess) and from Centennial and Cascade and Citra and Amarillo. Dry hoping will get you aroma only it will not add much if any citrus flavor. There may be the "appearance" of citrus flavor as your nose fools your tongue into believing there is citrus flavor because your brain smells it and tells your tongue its there.

That said, I am not sure how well citrus hops are going to mix with the spicy, woodsy EKG. Fuggles mixes well with EKG as would Styrian Goldings. Just in my opinion anyway.

I would use a more English hop in this batch and then go for an American IPA full of the citrus American Hops in the next --- but that's me ---

No you do not "Have to secondary" some do, some do not. I do not. I simply dry hop right in the primary bucket and 7 to 10 days minimum I would think.... normally I go 10 days then bottle.

Thanks for the advice, I guess next brew will be more of an American IPA.

I have an ounce of Williamette sitting there idle in the freezer. Would that be a good dry-hop to match with the EKG?

Thanks again!

CTZ/Columbus is often credited with resin or dank characteristics, and I've had a few good examples to prove the reputation. Do those attributes not come through when only used to dry hop? I've never used it to dry hop so I'm curious.

Latest posts

Back