Lupulin powder usage planning

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SHAIV

Reaction score
Never used lupulin powder before but im very intrigued. I know they are mainly used for dry hopping and flameout/whirlpool additions. So i just got 2 oz of powder for next to nothing. So im trying to figure out what i should do with the lupulin powder. Any suggestions? I was thinking about doing a light colored ipa of sorts, i got mosaic and simcoe. I havent ever used mosaic so itll be a first for me. I did some more research and read an article where the guy made a mosaic neipa with regular pellets and then made an identicle neipa with the powder. The powder beer came out clearer than the regular pellet beer, which im fine with i dont really need to do a neipa but i want it to be super hoppy and light on the malts. I really would love something along the lines of southern tier nu skool ipa. Which has mosaic simcoe and something else i believe, like galaxy. So all that said.

I first thought about making a beer with both the mosaic and simcoe powders. I would probably do an extract since i dont get a lot of time to brew and i have 2 lbs of dme already and a lb of corn sugar. So i could get 6 lbs of pilsner lme and some mosaic and simcoe pellet hops since one of my favorite beers i brewed was a simcoe smash from northern brewer. Itll be a light colored and in the 5-6% abv range. So i was thinking basically remake the simcoe smash and add in the 2 lbs dme and maybe the corn sugar and then the powder and another oz or 2 of mosaic pellets.

Or i could use one of the powders for dry hopping some apfelwein, which is very good ive made simcoe and citra hopped versions and they were both good. and the other oz to dry hop an ipa like a smash or neipa.

Sorry for the long post. Thanks in advance for any input. I want to make the most out of the powder since ive never used it before

Also im thinking the lupulin powder could be best dry hopped during active fermentation so that it can get stirred into the beer. Ive read that it likes to sit on top of the beer and not get saturated. So i think you are supposed to stir it in or IMO maybe just add it during fermentation so it gets stirred for you. Without the vegetal matter you wouldnt have to worry about too long of a dry hop i dont think

Thoughts?

3 to 1 from my usage, there is a small burn involved the first week after you keg (at least with citra lupulin) but it smooths out.

I have only used it in bigger beers, so I am not sure if in lower abv beers it will be different...

On a recent Sunday Session episode on the Brewing Network, Mike McDole talked about using lupilin powders in the new 21st Amendment beer he collaborated on with them. They talked about making a separate slurry and then adding that into the larger portion of the finished beer. Essentially, dissolving the powder into the 1 liter of beer and then adding it back in to ensure proper integration and to prevent the powder from clumping and not mixing in.

Been using lupulin powder quite a bit in our APA’s recently, including the lactose IPA (www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/533033/hash-ketchum-milkshake-ipa) that is currently in the kegerator.

Ditto regarding the temporary burn after kegging and the recommended usage ratio. I know the Alchemist YouTube has been kicked around a bit before, but to the extent that you haven’t seen it, its worth listening to John’s input on lupulin additions:

Skadoosh: https://youtu.be/zV72eRONZgk
Skadoosh 3: https://youtu.be/STPOtTaSqEA
Skadoosh 5: https://youtu.be/Po-SZcSjoes
Skadoosh 7: https://youtu.be/8vv4aw1wreY
Skadoosh 8: https://youtu.be/RFtGYYtmXfI

Wow i know ive seen one or two of those videos from searching about the powder but i love listening to him talk! Thanks man! Ill check them out tomorrow. I guess theres no reason to quick carb powder beer then. Itll be low and slow

Also I think ill put all the powder in the "whirl" so im not too concerned with it floating anymore haha

So i think i watched 11 skadoosh videos this morning. Lol so he basically made a bunch of smash ipas and a few multi hop single malt ipas. So he says he likes single hops but they are always missing something that another hop presence can fill the void. So to that, im wondering should i get another hop variety since mosaic and simcoe may be so close?

But im kind of interested in this biotransformation of hop oils. I feel like the powder would be great for that because theres not much vegetal matter to give any grassy flavors

Well first I agree that hop blending is the way to go in terms of adding depth to the beer. Unless you’re looking to play around and explore how particular hop varietals perform.

Otherwise, regarding biotransformation, my understanding is that it’s more about the timing of the hop addition (during fermentation vs after fermentation), rather than vegetal matter.

That being said, I usually do 3 dry hop additions at 7, 5, and 2 days from kegging. So I really haven’t played around with that concept too much and am curious what others thoughts are on the technique / metabolic process.

Latest posts

Back