low temps with us-05 causing fruity esters?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

defenestrate

HBT Supporter
Reaction score
in the past few weeks i've brewed 2 seperate repeat batches using 05. the process and recipes were the same- the only thing being different is the fermentation temp.

my basement has been holding 58-60 for about 6 weeks, so i figured i might be able to get some extra-clean tasting beers with that temp. upon tasting during the gravity samples, there is def a more pronounced fruity taste and aroma. the gravities are exactly where they are supposed to be, so this leads me to a possible conclusion... is it possible that fermenting at around 60 degrees slowed the yeast growth down to produce more esters during fermentation?

after 7-10 days at those temps, the batches were moved upstairs to a 68 degree room to finish (this is when the samples were taken.)

the yeast were hydrated properly and pitched at 60 on both batches. one other possible contributing factor is i may not have aerated enough, which would contribute to the esters. i use 05 frequently and prior to these batches i have been very pleased with the cleanness, however those batches were fermented at 65-66 degrees.

at this same time i had a blonde going with notty at the same temp... upon racking and sampling that batch there was little to no fruit aroma or taste. i know notty works great at low temps, which is another reason i think i may have just been too low for 05.

maybe next round i will increase the pitch count (1.5 packs) and aerate thoroughly and see what happens. any thoughts?

I would not judge it that early. The by products will meld a bit and the yeast will continue to clean up after themselves. Even after packaging the beer will change and that fruitiness might subside or blend in.

I've had some perceptibly fruity ales at transfer to kegs with -05 and I ferment at the low end. The only one that stayed excessively fruity was one I ferment at the top end - 68 to 70.

I would not judge it that early. The by products will meld a bit and the yeast will continue to clean up after themselves. Even after packaging the beer will change and that fruitiness might subside or blend in.

I've had some perceptibly fruity ales at transfer to kegs with -05 and I ferment at the low end. The only one that stayed excessively fruity was one I ferment at the top end - 68 to 70.

i hope it subsides...maybe my pallet is becoming more perceptive as well, i just dont remember much if any fruitiness with 05.

i'm going to be doing a few batches with lager yeast s23 at 60 degrees so i'm excited to see what the results are there. :mug:

Back