Low SG Partial Mash

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

radiodome21

Reaction score
So here goes. I did my last partial mash creme ale this afternoon. i've been brewing for almost 2 yrs and never had anything like this happen. My SG was a whopping 1.030.
Grain bill: (What I mashed at about 150 F for over an hour in about 3 gallons of water)
5.5 lbs of 2 row
1 lb of flaked oats
1 lb of flaked maize
I then sparged about 9 quarts of 170 F water. Brought to a boil, added:

I then added 1 pound of DME with a half pound of white sugar.
And then brewed for over an hour.

I did just buy a new hydrometer and I am really hoping that the hydrometer is broken, but I doubt it.

Anyone know what I messed up on? I did add top off with water, when I was done but I can't figure this out.
As I said this is my last partial. I am switching to BIAB and was originally going to do this as my first BIAB brew, but I need beer now. (Still haven't purchased my equipment).

At this SG, is this even worth using or should I just dump it?

Thanks,

I usually use 3lbs of DME with 4-6 pounds of grains in my pb/pm biab beers. I get 1.046-1.061 that way. I dunk sparge as well.

I did add top off with water, when I was done but I can't figure this out.

So your measurement was after topping off? If so, I have to add the obligatory comment that you could have had an inaccurate reading due to the water not mixing well with the viscous wort. Given the gazillions of examples of this happening on the board, on the rare occasion I do a partial mash I always take my gravity and volume measurement post boil before topping off and adding DME. Then I calculate the actual OG from my additions rather than trying to get a measurement.

Latest posts

Back