Low OG reading...Why???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello! The last two times that I have taken gravity readings from my cooled wort they have come out very low - 1.020 etc. Both recipes called for 6#+ of extract, both were cooled before I took the readings so I do not understand why this would happen. Does anybody have any feedback? Thanks!

Crappy or damaged hydrometer?

What does it read with plain water?

I have two hydrometers and they both give different readings.

Not quite like yours, though....

I second that motion. 6 lbs of extract should give at least 1.042 if liquid, more if dry. I say faulty hydrometer.

OldeEnglish800 said:
Hello! The last two times that I have taken gravity readings from my cooled wort they have come out very low - 1.020 etc. Both recipes called for 6#+ of extract, both were cooled before I took the readings so I do not understand why this would happen. Does anybody have any feedback? Thanks!
Are you stirring your wort before taking the sample? If you just finished topping up then take the sample before stirring you're probably measuring a diluted sample.

Thank you all for the replies! My hydrometer reads exactly 1.000 with water. I added the wort to the carboy, topped off with water then added a rubber cork. I then swished the wort around to try and mix the water in with the wort and aerate it. If my hydrometer reads at 1.000 with water then can it still be bad?

Thanks again!

OldeEnglish800 said:
If my hydrometer reads at 1.000 with water then can it still be bad?
There's nothing wrong with your hydrometer...IMHO you just didn't get the solution mixed well before taking the sample.

Latest posts

Back