Low OG on partial mash

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wesva

Reaction score
In attempting my 4th brew ever (a NE IPA), my target OG was 1.068. However, my reading just before adding yeast was 1.052. Much lower than I had hoped. it was an extract brew with 6.6# Pilsen LME, 1# pils DME; I also had:
2# 2 row
1.25# flaked oats
.5# C-60
.5# honey malt

I steeped the grains for 60 minutes at 155° before adding extract & boiled for an hour.
any ideas on why such a low OG?

It is now fermenting nicely so I guess I'll end up with a lower ABV beer than I had hoped for but maybe it will be ok.

feel free to move thread to an appropriated place if need be.

My best guess is that because you had almost 40% adjunct in your mini mash it didn't properly convert with the 2 row being your only source of diastatic power. You would probably need 6 row base malt in that situation. Your mini mash needs at least 30 - 60 lintner DP to convert properly.

If that wasn't it (but probably was a big factor), could also be your crush. If the grains aren't crushed fine enough you could lose some efficiency.

Did you do a full or partial boil. A partial boil with topping up the fermentor to the full volume often leads to a SG measurement error. It is difficult to get a complete mix of the boil volume and top off water.

Latest posts

Back