Low abv

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mtrogers14

Reaction score
So I brewed a Belgian Pale Ale 2 weeks ago. I used beersmith and all seemed well. My pre boil gravity was where it should be. My OG was even 2 points higher than it should have been. I brewed on 5/8 and took a gravity reading on 5/22. According to beersmith my FG should be 1.010. Instead it's 1.020. What did I do wrong and how can I fix the problem ? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Need the recipe, mash temp, yeast used, starter, fermentation temps, etc....
Lots of variables affect attenuation.

BTW, how long has it been fermenting? It may just need more time or a little help to finish;)

What Yeast? What temp? Recipe?

The reason I ask is that sometimes Belgian yeasts can take off fast and then take a long time to finish. If the temp dropped during fermentation, it can cause the fermentation to stall out.

A little more info and we can help.

here is my recipe

6 lbs 13 oz - belgian 2 row pilsner
1 lb 03 oz - Vienna malt
1 lb 03 oz - cara-pils
1 lb 03 oz - biscuit
10 oz - special B
.52 oz Styrian Goldings @ 60
1.05 oz " " @ 30
.52 oz @ 5
Belgian strong ale yeast (Wyeast #1388)

I don't have exact temps but its fermenting in my basement in a plastic bucket (admittedly not my fav but all I had at the time) The basement is in general between 65-70 degrees at this time of year.
I hope this is enough info to get some advice

Mash Schedule

Mash in 13.75 quarts at 162 degrees F mash for 75 mins at 150 degrees
Batch sparge 2 steps of 5.64 gal at 168 degrees

First off, is the thermometer calibrated. Many are not that accurate and typically one can be mashing at a higher temperature than they think creating a less fermentable wort. Second, a lot of Belgian yeast like to have the temperature raised as fermentation slows, they can be finicky:) They also have a tendency of taking a bit of time to get the last few points taken care of, sometimes as long as another two weeks even though it appears as though nothing is happening. If you still can, raise the temperature and give the vessel a little swirl to get the yeast going again. You can also add some yeast nutrient and hopefully get things going again.

First off, is the thermometer calibrated.

Provided this checks out, everything else seems normal. Keep it warm and let it do its thing for a while. The 1388 never really seems to drop, which means it's still going to work, if you keep it warm enough. If them temp drops, well, the yeast might get lazy.

Didn't see if you made a starter, and how/how large. That will play a factor, too. What was the OG?

Back