Love Golf?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
On a par 4, if I miss my put for 8, I pick up and put down an 8. If I get too many 8's, I stop keeping score. Unless I'm playing in a league or tournament. I'm not good enough to worry about my "real" scores or handicap. I'm trying to have fun and relax, not get even more frustrated.

Brew on :mug;

Same here. If you get 2x the par, you pick up your ball. If you can find it :)

Yeah i usually pick up after a double, and you could play a month with me and not see one or 4 or 5 in a day. Weird. This skins game is ball down regardless, it can get painful, especially for someone who likes to pick up at double and move on. I think having a stop is key, especially for beginners. Just pick up and go to the next. Max is, i think, 7 on any hole for 10 to 20 handicaps anyways. It would make the game so much quicker. We played with this guy who was marking every putt, prarice swings, etc and was shooting 8s on every hole. It drove my buddy and i insane.

So played the skins game again and talk about picking up....i was putting for birdie 4 on a par 5 and took an 8. I missed 2 three inchers. Dont ask me how, but I think i could do it again. Played poorly but was hoping to just make birdies score be damned. Made 3 of them and one of them was good for the only gross net skin in first flight. All the studs who shot 73 and below canceled everything else out leaving my lone bird on 10 as money. 118 to be exact. This game pays 3 flights and proxies so that was huge for this game. Pretty cool, got whooped by the field, played poorly, and left with the pot! Hope for more of this luck.

Last edited:
I play because my dad and brothers love it. Too pricey here in the philly area and I’m a cheap bastard. Usually play only a round or two before our family Myrtle Beach trip where we play some nice courses for cheap. (Dad is a golf week rater. Low handicapper). Fortunate to travel back to Ohio to play in a midweek scramble with my brothers and dad. Ought to be fun.
Btw, lucky to break 105. Lose most strokes ob or around the green. I’ve learned to stop getting angry and just enjoy myself playing bad golf quickly.

Really excited, fil got tee time sunday for hiwan. Used to be home of colorado open. Phil mickelson won it at hiwan and there are other cool pics up around bar. Mounatin golf for sure and press maxwell designed it. He also helped design the greens at Augusta national iirc which is all one needs to know. Putting is really difficult at hiwan.
Screenshot_2018-06-13-23-11-10.png

Played yesterday and felt like i got some redemption for last weekend. Wasnt great, but i was happy overall. Off the box and putting was really good, but my irons left something to be desired.

In kind of a slump. Didnt play very good at hiwan and in partner scramble we shot 71. We only missed two greens and could have maybe got up in the top 3 with better putting, but i fought it all day. A nice young man i golfed with once who shot a 30 on the front was there. He pulled one right and it hit the bag of the people we were playing with. Almost killed him. Glad I yelled fore. Anyways saw him all day, just kind of ho hum smiling with his dad. Yeah, 8 under. Hes super good and hes nice. Some ducks have it all, ehh.

Working on a more deliberate take away. I dont want to say slow. I realize from the outside looking in it would be hard to tell if I was trying to hit the ball with the backswing or forward swing.

Haha, i feel like the village idiot. It was right there.

This guy is being interviewed by the police. He says, i told you what happened. It was terrible i teed off and my wife walked in front of the ball, it was awful.

Yeah we get that sir, but what was the other mark?

Oh, that was my mulligan.

Deliberate. Thats the word the great golf teacher butch harmon said about backswing speed. I googled some clips of his opinion. Not slow, deliberate. It hit me like a ton of bricks l, the backswings only use is to get into position to hit the ball. I cant hit the ball with the backswing. Alot of what i have been wanting to do was made to difficult by an overly quick backswing. Stopping shorter, coiling, and better consistency. I am really doing well with a slower backswing. Chipped in an eagle tonight and played really well. Ill find something that works and ride it as long as i can. The longer it works the better. Then over the years ill jump to back to something if it worked and try to ride it again. Especially on a bad round day. Hey it worked that one time.

This guy worked so hard at his game. Determined to get better to go to Scotland. The home of golf and play. He finally feels hes good enough one day and goes to scotland to play. He starts poor. Pushes his tee shot right, chips out, and saves bogey. Bogeys the next and doubles the third. He tells the caddy thats it i am going to go over there and drown myself. Send my clubs home.

The caddie responds, you cant do that.

He says yes i can. I am going to go over there and drown myself.

The caddie is emphatic you CANT do that.

He responds, YES I CAN,why the hell not.

The caddie replies, you cant keep your head down long enough.

Played the scramble with my dad and brothers. We all played poorly and shot a 63. Winning group shot a 55. Had fun though. Only get to see them 2-3 times a year.
The following morning, played a round with my older brother and shot a 93 (95% legit. eg dropping instead of rehitting in some instances). 6500 yds, slope of 131. Not too bad for first full round out.
Will be playing 2 rounds in Myrtle Beach in another week. Looking forward to the cursing guaranteed to occur.

The royal links. Anyone ever play this one? Super fun. The front was really fun. I hit seven of nine greens and 3 putted 6x. What a deal. Didnt care its so hot, felt dazed and confused. I felt the back was harder. The wind picked up and there were way longer holes. Road hole was super cool.
20180711_141055.jpg
20180711_140850.jpg
20180711_140602.jpg
20180711_135710.jpg
20180711_131635.jpg

I hear it's a good play. Do they light that up at night for play too?

I played Paiute when the whole week stayed steady at 130° felt like you were being cooked in a convection oven. Dry heat tho.

I dont know, haha, would be cool, but tough. They do light up the vegas golf center par 3. Used to be Callaway golf center. Played that one night with wife. I recall lots of 130 yard holes. I have always wanted to play the paiutes. I have played a lot in vegas. We have gone the last three years now. Last year played Spanish trail cc posted pics somewhere, think you saw them. Desert pines, rhodes ranch, painted desert, the johnny miller course (cant think of name), alliante. A couple others. They have all been nice.

Speaking of wynn took some pics for ye all from top of high roller. Me too on wc. My buddy had this plan he did a lot
Go in summer play wc and mesquite for cheap. The day we planned on wc it was really windy so we bailed. I loved the palmer, falcon ridge, casablanca, and palmer canyon. They all were cool. Theres a time share there, tip for ya, called masters villas. They are nice villas that come with a golf cart, a little private range on the back of the palmer and discounted rates. I cant wait to go back hot or not.
20180712_131107.jpg
20180712_131048.jpg
20180712_130446.jpg
20180712_130455.jpg

Speaking of wynn took some pics for ye all from top of high roller. Me too on wc. My buddy had this plan he did a lot
Go in summer play wc and mesquite for cheap. The day we planned on wc it was really windy so we bailed. I loved the palmer, falcon ridge, casablanca, and palmer canyon. They all were cool. Theres a time share there, tip for ya, called masters villas. They are nice villas that come with a golf cart, a little private range on the back of the palmer and discounted rates. I cant wait to go back hot or not.View attachment 579209View attachment 579210View attachment 579211View attachment 579212

I had lunch in the clubhouse at the Wynn a few years ago. Looked onto one of the greens during lunch. Looked really nice. Was with wife (non-golfer), so not an option. Too bad. Wife had a salad there made with dates and apples and almonds that she loved. I got the recipe and still make that for her to this day.

I played 18 this morning with my boys (at Wentworth Golf Club in Palm Harbor) . I sucked as usual, but fun as always. Ran into a bunch of deer and sandhill cranes out there on the course. Greens and fringes were fantastic, fairways were OK, tee boxes were kinda beat up but that's not a biggie. Tough course, lots of woods and thin fairways and some very difficult approaches to greens. $16 with fees, not bad :)

Last edited:
BTW I had lunch at the clubhouse between 9 and 10. This is frowned on at most courses, but I do it all the time anyway. Thoughts on doing that?

It's almost never an issue just sliding back onto the course at the 10. Maybe it's only bad when the course is packed?

Played two rounds in Myrtle Beach this week with my dad and brothers. First at the Grand Dunes private course and second at Heathlands (part of legends). Hit everything poorly at dunes. Hit driver well at Heathlands but could hit greens and chipped and putted horribly. Had fun nonetheless.

BTW I had lunch at the clubhouse between 9 and 10. This is frowned on at most courses, but I do it all the time anyway. Thoughts on doing that?

It's almost never an issue just sliding back onto the course at the 10. Maybe it's only bad when the course is packed?
Man sounds like a nice day. I love those birds out there. I need to work on having more fun out there. Enjoying it more.

I had this friend a viking looking guy. We were members of a once semi private golf club. Nothing to nice obviously since i was there. Anyways he would play half in the morning and half at night. Both unbusy times. He said he would play a quick nine. Go home mow, etc...and then play the other. I dont think I would like that especially if i was playing well, but maybe it would help me play better and have more fun. If you like doing that, that's great. I think people and locals do that in mexico at the all inclusives.

They have breakfast, play nine, have lunch maybe a few beers and play on. Always admired that routine very much. Man would love to be out there at pok ta pok on cancun right now. Its dumpy but still. If you slide back on with ease then nbd. But if it is going to be book to nines or tell the course to ensure its how you want it, imo. Hope to do that with you some day.

Yesterday, I Teed off at 2:00. 100°. Shot a 42 on the front!!!! Finished with a 97 at 108°. Best 9 ive ever shot and best round at that course. Heat was brutal though. Today, I just watched golf!

So cool wildginger. Sounds like you keep getting better. 42 is solid.

I am playing arrowhead thursday. We dont have oceans so this one of our trophy courses. Its really pretty and difficult. There is a 12 story drop or so where its 175 but plays much less. Hope ill be ok i hurt my shoulder somehow. I think launching my 7 yo around in the pool.
Screenshot_2018-07-23-21-25-02.png
Screenshot_2018-07-23-21-24-46.png
Screenshot_2018-07-23-21-24-18.png

So cool wildginger. Sounds like you keep getting better. 42 is solid.

I am playing arrowhead thursday. We dont have oceans so this one of our trophy courses. Its really pretty and difficult. There is a 12 story drop or so where its 175 but plays much less. Hope ill be ok i hurt my shoulder somehow. I think launching my 7 yo around in the pool. View attachment 580606View attachment 580607View attachment 580608
Thanks. I always seem to play the front 9 better and better but the back is never anything to write home about. Maybe I'm just old, fat and out of shape and then get tired. Nah. That CAN'T be it! ha Booked a tee time for Sun and am working on one for Sat now. Haven't played my neighborhood course in a few weeks. Maybe I'll try it on Sat.

That course looks great! Wow. Very nice. Enjoy.

I got to the course 5 min late today and ended up behind a large group of ladies. The course mgr was cool and put my son and me in front of them - started on the 5th hole. We had a great day out there.

Course was covered with fox squirrels. This is a small one. Not sure where else these guys are found, but they are 2x chunkier than the normal squirrel and walk really weird. And they are really not afraid of people :)

That is so cool wildginger. That is how it happened for me, i remember being so excited to break 90. Awesome work.

I'm the same way one day shoot in the 70s the next day I'm shanking wedges. I literally started the day yesterday shanking a wedge and then ended with confidence. All I did was strengthen my grip a little bit. As you get better that's one thing you'll learn is how to find what you're doing wrong real quick and fix it.
Playex with this huge stud yesterday. I asked and he said he was Club champions in 2004. He could hit the ball PGA Tour long and he also putted very well. From the tips he was hitting irons into all the part fives with ease. Older guy but big, 6 4 maybe 6' 5". And big like a tight end. His buddy could spank it too and was about my size. His buddy was driving it out with me. He hit a lot of bad shots too, but 5 birdies made up for them.

Last edited:
Played saturday and had a cool shot. I was 3 under through six! But the wind, and it was the only time that day, picked up on 7 and I somehow managed to double it and 8. So then playing on tilt I bombed one down the narrow par five 9th. Short yardage left drilled a 5 iron but a left and saw it hop into a tree. Already sad to see my good round go here I was in trouble after lacing one down the middle. Turned out i was really in trouble. My bil couldn't believe it when I told him I was going to play it. Man I hit it dead pure. Came out, got down the hill and was tight. Of course missed the birdie put dammit. Haha, it was pretty cool though.
Screenshot_2018-08-06-20-27-27.png
IMG_30061.jpg

Have a tee time booked for Sun but the forecast shows rain all weekend. Maybe I’ll walk on at my home course tomorrow before it starts. Last 5 rounds under 100. I cant slack off now!

Latest posts

Back