lots of stuff gifted to me

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

avm221

Reaction score
ok so i have a friend thats moving out of town for a Phd program and she isn't going to have a lot of time to brew so this is what she gave me:
- 2lbs kiln Black
- 1lbs Carmel 90L
- 1lbs chocolate malt
- 3lbs amber DME
- 1lbs Dark DME
- 6.5lbs amber LME

along with that i have a 6month old bag of cracked specialty grains, I'm thinking maybe an amber, but who knows its about 2-4lbs of grain

hops that i have on hand, i can buy more at the brew shop if need be
2lbs - chinook
1/2lbs -Northern Brewer
1-2oz- Willamette

ok so looking at this I'm seeing 2 different beers, a milk stout with the chocolate malt and kiln black, but also I'm thinking a amber or brown, then i have the bag of cracked grains.

what do you think i should brew with all this?

It's been a long time since I used anything besides light extract but if I remember, amber is light plus crystal malt, and dark is amber plus some chocolate and black?

The only advice I have is to be cautious with your steeping grains. I can imagine getting really muddled. Treat the extra ingredients like a couple bonus beers so if they screw up it's not a big deal. A couple session strength beers would be easy.

Yes its been a long time for me to use extract, I have been brewing all grain. Im thinking of using the un cracked grain to make a milk stout, then make a amber with the DME then I have a bag of random crushed grains, I might make 1-2gal batch just to see what it is.

Back