Lost Nation Mosaic IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anyone have a clone for this one?

I have brewed an IPA that is close quite by accident.

85% Maris Otter, 15% Malted Red Wheat

(Used Beersmith V3 for this part)

Mosaic to 20 IBU at 20
Mosaic to 10 IBU (now 30 IBU) at 10
Mosaic to 10 IBU (now 40 IBU) at 2

For 5.75 gallon batch, 3 oz Mosaic in 30 min hop stand at 160°F

Omega DIPA yeast.

Mash at 148°F for 75 min at a 1.125:1 grist ratio

Used Bru'n water spread sheet, 100% distilled water to Pale ale profile, but kept sulfates to about 150..

Not much info out there. It’s a light SRM, so my guess is it’s probably 90% 2 row, not sure what else is in the grain bill. The other question is hop schedule. Possibly additions at 60 min, 20 flameout and a bunch at dryhop.

You can try this, should get a similar taste and a bit softer mouthfeel:
9 lbs 2 row
2 lbs white wheat
1 lb flaked oats
1 oz mosaic at 10 mins
2 oz mosaic whirlpool
3 oz mosaic dry hop
London ale 3 yeast

I'm going to give it a go. Have you tried this recipe yet? If so, how'd it turn out? How long was the whirlpool and at what temp? I'm thinking of lowering my whirlpool temp to 140-160 degrees. I've been whirlpooling at higher temps (anywhere from flameout to 170 degrees) but I don't seem to get the hop aroma I'm looking for (even with 2-3 oz. of dry hops)... think I'm getting more bitterness instead.

I haven’t brewed it yet, it’s on my list. I made a similar beer NEIPA style, it had similar grain bill and yeast and some higher dose of different hops and it was great. When I whirlpool, I typically go with 170 degrees for 20 mins. You shouldn’t see too strong bitterness if you use all late hopping and whirlpool hops. This should come out around 45 IBUs. Let me know how it works out. Should be good. With the London Ale and oats, it should have a nice mouthfeel which helps with the hops. You may also want to add some gypsum which will help accent the hops.

Thanks, great info. Now that you mention it, since I started brewing these NEIPA's, I've cut back on my gypsum additions to lower the sulfate chloride ratio for the style. Perhaps that's why my hops don't seem to punch through??

Salts can make a difference, not just a NEIPA thing anymore. Hopefully, it works out better for you.

Latest posts

Back