Lost a whole keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zacster

Reaction score
I left my keg under pressure to carbonate, at about 20 pounds, and I came home today to see it had all leaked out of the picnic tap. At least it was contained. I guess I shouldn't leave the tap on the keg when not in use. The tank was empty too. It was also hot outside where the keg was and maybe that had something to do with it.

If I didn't have water in the jumbo cooler already, I'd still have the beer to drink. But now they're mixed together and it is a total loss. The worst part is that now that it's hot, like 95 today, I can't make another batch as I have no way to keep it cool for fermentation.

Maybe I'll have to talk my wife into the new fridge so I can use the old one for beer, both fermentation and cold storage. It has been on our list of things to buy.

yikes! I would replace the Cobra tap, sounds like something was stuck open. I leave the taps on every time without an issue. Cobras are pretty cheap and is far better than losing an entire keg. Can you ferment in a dark room inside? If so try a warmer fermenting yeast in a Saison. Sorry for the loss

No-Darth_Vader.jpg

I agree though, if it's hot brew up a saison. Those yeasties likes it warm!

And what a mess it made. By the time I went to dump it, the beer had become infected with one of the common bugs, the original yeast had caked onto everything, and the fruit flies were buzzing. I also got a quick lesson in disassembling my keg and my picnic tap broke.

It's all cleaned up now, and now I need another batch. I need to check my basement temp for fermentation, it may be cool enough for another ale. If not, a saison may do the trick.

Sorry to hear this. I've always wondered why some company didn't make a stainless steel heavy duty picnic tap. It would definitely give me peace of mind.

Yea, I looked for something better and all I can find are the $3 plastic ones. I'm not looking to build a kegerator or install a semi-permanent tap. I mostly just want the keg to be mobile on my porch.

my guess is it leaked from some other connection...like the QD to the tap line.

I dunno, a black plastic picnic faucet in the sun would expand some. It was also probably never intended for that kind of pressure.

At least, it sounds like this was left outside in the heat.

So, two mistakes:

1: Take the liquid QD off the tank when force carbing

2: Don't leave beer outside in 95 degree weather

Anyway, I feel for the OP. So far I've been lucky - only batch i lost was a 1 gallon that got some bleach suckback through the blowoff tube due to some wild temperature fluctuations and my lazy ass not installing an airlock after it was done spewing krausen.

That's what happened to mine last night.

I tapped a new keg of my German Pilsner to sample a glass - it was awesome by the way - and left the cobra tap on the keg in my keezer. Went out to the garage today to grab an empty keg and took a peek into the keezer just out of curiosity.

There were my 4 kegs swimming in 5 gallons of my best Pilsner. :mad:

QD was not on completely and as a result, all 5 gallons fizzled out under pressure.

Little Tech Tip....use your auto-siphon to empty these little mistakes from your keezer when they happen. :D

There were my 4 kegs swimming in 5 gallons of my best Pilsner. :mad:

QD was not on completely and as a result, all 5 gallons fizzled out under pressure.

This happened to me last week. The QD didn't lock properly onto the post. Fortunately, the leak was very slow, so overnight I lost less than a pint. Especially fortunate since I don't have a keezer to contain it, it's in an upright fridge, and would have have left beer all over the laundry room.

The worst part is that now that it's hot, like 95 today, I can't make another batch as I have no way to keep it cool for fermentation.

Sorry for the loss! To replenish your supply, you could always throw caution to the wind and brew a saison. A nice petite saison (~1.045 OG) with 3724 or 3711 (or any saison yeast) would turn out a nice ale when fermenting at those warm temps. If you can bring the temp down to the low 70s and pitch at that temp, then just let it go, you'll be surprised at how nice and complex a beer you'll get. :) Don't let the weather get you down! There's a Beer for that!

Pretty expensive if you are going to outfit multiple kegs. I was hoping there was something in the middle...like $10 to $15, small like the plastic tap, but stainless with either a barbed or flare fitting on the bottom/back.

I just don't trust the picnic taps.

It doesn't look bad, just expensive. I'm considering mounting a Perlick stainless onto a movable stand. Even more expensive, but I could use it if I ever built a kegerator. The stand would need large legs, both forward and back to keep it from tipping during serving, although I'm reading that the Perlicks have a very light touch.

In the spring/summer/fall I'm most likely to want the equipment outside on my porch. There isn't enough room on the porch for a permanent setup, nor would I want to invite that kind of trouble. I live in Brooklyn, not exactly the quiet, calm, crime free place where you could do that. So outside for parties, large or small (2's a party). Inside to store or in the winter. My DIY giant cooler will keep things cold even in the summer. 2 garbage cans, with fiberglass insulation between them and styrofoam on the bottom to support it, and an old down coat under the lid on top. In 95 degree heat ice will last a day and a half. It was that third day that killed my keg as I wasn't home to check it.

Back