Losing beer from hop trub after boil

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DustyTheBrewer

Reaction score
Is this something that I just need to accept? I brew all grain, 10gal batches with pellet hops and irish moss at 15 min. I whirlpool and whirlpool and have never gotten this mound of trub in the centre. Don't get me wrong, that trub settles out to make wort clearer than I can get a finished beer. However, I'm left with probably a 1/2 to 3/4 gallon of unusable wort lest I pour tons of pellet hop sludge into my fermenter.

Am I the only one with this problem? Is a hop bag something that would help (with the pellet hops)? I use a conical fermenter and theoretically I could just add everything in and dump it after primary fermentation but that just seems.. wrong.

Its normal. Yeah a hop bag helps. But then theres people saying you will not get as high efficiency from the hops. Maybe do a search on that.

Some people put everything into the fermenter, some don't. You could also do what Braukaiser showed in one of his videos about whirlpooling (article is here): Pour the cold break material into a strainer with paper towel and collect the flow through to use later as a starter or Kräusen wort.

Latest posts

Back