looking to make a strawberry vanilla mead

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

STLExpat

Reaction score
I want to use the JAOM method and go with bread yeast, the question in my mind is if I should use Campden tablets or not. I'm going for a one gallon test batch at this time and this is only the fifth batch of mead that I've made, any suggestions or advice is greatly appreciated

yeah, if your worried about the fruit contamination you can use a campden tab (in your must at least 24 hours before yeast pitch). But strawberries spoil pretty quick, you may want to bet on the bread yeast kicking any wildies out before they have a chance to take hold.

Mead is general is antibacterial and anti fungel. So most of my meads dont get camden tablets in the primary. But the bread yeast will make this awful sweet and strawberry/vanilla does not add much bitter to offset that sweetness. So you may need to back off the JAOM 3.5lb per gallon and go more like 3lb per gallon.

Mead is general is antibacterial and anti fungel. So most of my meads dont get camden tablets in the primary. But the bread yeast will make this awful sweet and strawberry/vanilla does not add much bitter to offset that sweetness. So you may need to back off the JAOM 3.5lb per gallon and go more like 3lb per gallon.

I agree, the extra .5 lb in the original JAOM is to off set the bitterness from the orange. You should be okay with 3lb here.

Back