looking to make a rauchbier this weekend, suggestions/advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

STLExpat

Reaction score
I'm making an all grain one gallon test batch, and I'm flip-flopping between using only smoked malt or going 1 pound smoked and 1 pound pilsner. I'm using Safale 05 for the yeast and Tradition hops. Any advice or suggestions would be happily accepted.

Just depends on how smokey you want it. If you have had the scherlenka (sp?) smoked beers that is all smoked malt. If that suits your tastes then go all smoked malt. If it's too much, do less.

ReverseApacheMaster said:
Just depends on how smokey you want it. If you have had the scherlenka (sp?) smoked beers that is all smoked malt. If that suits your tastes then go all smoked malt. If it's too much, do less.

Never had one of those unfortunately, I had something from Sam Adams a few weeks ago called Cinder Bock (combination of a Bock style beer and a rauchbier) that convinced me to make an attempt.

My advice? Do more than one gallon!

Don't be afraid of the rauchmalt (although 50/50 is fine; some people are chicken**** when it comes to smoked malts and won't use more than 10%). Technically, it's supposed to be a lager but you should be OK with US-05 (it's clean enough). VERY modest hopping; bittering additions only, nothing even close to the end of boil. I'd probably bitter it to around a bock level (maybe 20-25 IBUs), depending on the original gravity. If you want a little closer to the smoked-bock flavor, I really like using some Munich malt in there as well; Munich and Rauch play well together, IMO.

Really just depends on how smoky you like it. Note the smoke character will fade with time. My Rauchbier brewed in May 2011 made the second round of the NHC this year. It was 42% smoked malt and was really smokey early on, but the smoke is more of a supporting characteristic than a defining characteristic at this point. It's really just a choice of how hardcore you want to go. Honestly I would suggest start at 50%; if you find yourself craving more smoke make your next batch with 75%. I can tell you most people who tasted my Rauchbier early on found it over the top for smoke character. At this point it's just a really nice, smooth lager with an interesting smoke flavour. It's done quite well for me in competitions this year.

the_bird said:
My advice? Do more than one gallon!

Don't be afraid of the rauchmalt (although 50/50 is fine; some people are chicken**** when it comes to smoked malts and won't use more than 10%). Technically, it's supposed to be a lager but you should be OK with US-05 (it's clean enough). VERY modest hopping; bittering additions only, nothing even close to the end of boil. I'd probably bitter it to around a bock level (maybe 20-25 IBUs), depending on the original gravity. If you want a little closer to the smoked-bock flavor, I really like using some Munich malt in there as well; Munich and Rauch play well together, IMO.

Didn't realize a rauchbier was a lager type, explains a couple things though. I think I'll go 50/50 on it with the pilsner then. Next batch I'll try some Munich, honey malt, and caramel 60L though. Got this idea in my head for a honey bbq beer. As far as hops go, I was thinking about .5 ounces total.

I'd like to do a bigger batch, just really limited on space in our apartment for more equipment and supplies at the moment for all grain brewing. Going to try an extract hefeweizen next month though.

Brewed it up yesterday, it's looking a lot lighter than I planned. Next time I'm going to use some Munich malt or caramel malt

ForumRunner_20120618_173426.jpg

I have only made one smoke beer but in my experiences I found that layering different kinds of smoke malt in there really makes a nice ale. I used weyermann(peat) smoked malt, 2row, briess (I thinks it's like straight BBQ flavor) malt, and cherrywood smoke malt as well as carafa for color and fermented with s-04 and it was one of the best beers I ever made. Went with 60min northern brewer hops and another oz or so at 10 mins with the whirlfloc and yeast nutrient.

Cheers! Hope this helps

schlenkerla rauchweizen is sublime. I don't know if it is filtered or centrifuged and then a separate yeast strain is added for bottling and haze (like many hefe weizen), but i made some beer with no smoked malt using that yeast and it has that smokey fruit that the rauchweizen does. I'm going to be using that cake for a beer with smoked grains, so i hope that one turns out even better. I'm not crazy about the peat smoked, but some of the other rauchmalz is much more delicately flavorful. You should find some schlenkerla- their helles is awesome too- and i don't think they use smoked malt in that one!

Back