Looking to learn

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

charlespax

Reaction score
Hi, everyone. I'm interested in getting started with brewing. What interests me most is automation, process control, and repeatability. My background is in product research and manufacturing. I started a company called Pax Instruments to make open source lab instruments. Previously, I was Director of Research and Development at MakerBot Industries making 3D printers.

My first product is a four channel temperature data logger. It's open source and on Github. I think it would be useful in brewing to verify temperature parameters are consistent. It would be awesome make a tool that also monitors CO2 levels and other things. Control output would be great too. I'm not sure what would be useful to brewers and here to learn. The Brew Science and Automated Brewing Forum look the most exciting.

Do you have any specific articles or posts you would recommend reading? Are there any tools you love?

Last edited:
Hey man, I am a hobby programmer and am new to this hobby but I see tons of possibilities for data logging/android/iphone apps. I look forward to looking at your work, and for mixing my own tech savvy-ness to this awesome hobby.

I find it a fusion of all the things I love in life, technology, electrical engineering, chemistry, blogging, and of course DRINKING BEER!! :)

My Blog with some of my equipment/notes on my first batch/future batches
www.twopawsbrewing.com

Thanks for the link. I've subscribed to your blog :)

I've seen several brew brewing Kickstarters and I'd love to do one of the big projects some day. To get started I'd like to make something to solve a small problem. Maybe a tool for measuring specific gravity. What are your thoughts in this area?

Whether you want simple, sure-fire instructions for making your first beer, or you're a seasoned home brewer working with all-grain, this book has something for you. HOWTOBREW!

Back