Looking to find correct 3 prong plug

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rodduley

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I need a little advice. I just purchased a Hot Rod from Bobby at Brewhardware along with the stainless 5500 watt element. I also have 10 feet of 10/3 SJOOW cable to wire up to. What I need to purchase next is the power plug to assemble. My current controller is a High Gravity EBCII and requires a 3 prong (two straight and one “L” shape) dryer type plug. I have looked at my local Home Depot and can’t seem to locate the needed 3 prong plug. Could one of you fine folks recommend a place I might find one. Also want to ensure it is the correct one.

HD and lowes sell them.The 50 amp and 30 amp are in the same box.It comes with an extra prong.The 50 uses a straight blade and the 30 uses the L blade. The plugs are the same except for the one prong .Use what you need and toss the other one.I think they were in a red and black box.
If you go back it might labeled 50 amp.Open the box and make sure the prong is in there.Two I looked at were missing the prong

A NEMA 10-30P is what I think you are looking for.

But a lot of the plugs can do both 30 and 50 amp just depends if you put the straight or bent 3rd prong in. My 14-50P for ebrew system came with L prongs so it could also be used as a 14-30P.

Like this one.

The discription says 14-30 but it's wrong it a 10. If you use the zoom you can see there is notch in there for a L prong, it should come with a straight and L prong for that 3rd spot.

Guy's, thanks for the quick responses. I believe it is the NEMA 10-30P. By the way what does the "P" stand for? Man... I also did not realize how expensive this electric brewing could be.

Guy's, thanks for the quick responses. I believe it is the NEMA 10-30P. By the way what does the "P" stand for? Man... I also did not realize how expensive this electric brewing could be.

I'm just starting to realize this too. I plan to slowly acquire the correct plugs and receptacles over time on ebay

I'm just starting to realize this too. I plan to slowly acquire the correct plugs and receptacles over time on ebay

I've only got 2 brews in on mine so far (transitional phase) and it took me 2 years to get everything :mug: my budget might be tighter than many though. I still need to get my kettles welded...

Iwould say Im into it for between $500 and $600 including a 20 gallon pot.Thats starting from the existing dryer plug and the simplist control box possible.Its money well spent.
The cheapest beer with the least homebrew savings is BMC.I can brew a half barrel of house homebrew for around $45. BMC is $100.Brew once a month and and your saving $55 month. That's $660 a year savings and you still have your equipment you could sell off if you ever get out of brewing.Less than a year and your paid back AND saving money.No brainer

Iwould say Im into it for between $500 and $600 including a 20 gallon pot.Thats starting from the existing dryer plug and the simplist control box possible.Its money well spent.

The cheapest beer with the least homebrew savings is BMC.I can brew a half barrel of house homebrew for around $45. BMC is $100.Brew once a month and and your saving $55 month. That's $660 a year savings and you still have your equipment you could sell off if you ever get out of brewing.Less than a year and your paid back AND saving money.No brainer

And it's fun :)

Back