Looking for the Truth

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spartan21

Reaction score
I live in the Cincinnati area, Rhinegeist is a local brewery with an IPA called Truth. I don't have a ton of experience with IPAs but I can tell you this one is very good. So I wanted to use this as a basis for my first attempt at putting together a recipe. From their website I was able to gather the malts and hops they use, I know the ABV is 7.2 % but I have no clue what the hop schedule is, the amounts of the hops, what order they go in and same goes for the grains. I researched IPAs and came up with what I think may be close to an IPA type recipe but in no way expect it to be the Truth.. I'm looking for any suggestions for how to tweak this recipe and critique as to whether its even close to a good "looking" recipe. I hope to brew this by the end of August.

So here goes.

Ingredients
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
8.0 oz Rice Hulls (0.0 SRM) Adjunct 1 3.6 %
10 lbs 8.0 oz Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 2 75.0 %
1 lbs 8.0 oz Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM) Grain 3 10.7 %
1 lbs Carared (20.0 SRM) Grain 4 7.1 %
8.0 oz Rye Malt (4.7 SRM) Grain 5 3.6 %
1.25 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 6 48.3 IBUs
1.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop 7 8.1 IBUs
1.00 oz Citra [12.00 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 8 12.9 IBUs
1.00 oz Centennial [10.00 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 9 5.9 IBUs
1.0 pkg Safale American (DCL/Fermentis #US-05) [50.28 ml] Yeast 10 -
1.50 oz Citra [12.00 %] - Dry Hop 3.0 Days Hop 11 0.0 IBUs

Hmm, well when you drink the brew does it have a lasting bitterness, or does it all seem up front, smooth and then gone after a few seconds? I ask this because some brewers use only late additions to get their desired IBUs, and to me these kinds of beers have a more pleasant bitterness and aroma. I think you need more rye, 8 oz wouldn't do much of anything for the finished product. Hop schedules are always tough to me, there's nothing wrong with using a cleaner bittering hop for the 60 min addition like Magnum. It will get you the IBUs and a nice clean bitterness. Citra is fantastic as a dry hop and late addition, so you're on the right track there. I would crank up the dry hop to at the very least 2 oz, if not 4. Other than that, there's much more experienced brewers here that can help you out. No matter what, Simcoe, Citra, Cascade and Centennial should make a fine IPA, whether it's Truth-ful or not.

Hmm, well when you drink the brew does it have a lasting bitterness, or does it all seem up front, smooth and then gone after a few seconds? I ask this because some brewers use only late additions to get their desired IBUs, and to me these kinds of beers have a more pleasant bitterness and aroma. I think you need more rye, 8 oz wouldn't do much of anything for the finished product. Hop schedules are always tough to me, there's nothing wrong with using a cleaner bittering hop for the 60 min addition like Magnum. It will get you the IBUs and a nice clean bitterness. Citra is fantastic as a dry hop and late addition, so you're on the right track there. I would crank up the dry hop to at the very least 2 oz, if not 4. Other than that, there's much more experienced brewers here that can help you out. No matter what, Simcoe, Citra, Cascade and Centennial should make a fine IPA, whether it's Truth-ful or not.

Thanks for the tips, haven't actually brewed yet but hope to soon.

Go in and talk to them or email them. They might just give you a little more specific information about their recipe.

If not, I think it looks good. All you can do is experiment.

Latest posts

Back