Looking for Sweet Chocolate Stout Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tre6mafya

Reaction score
Okay Brew Fam, I am in search of a sweet chocolate stout recipe. I'd love it to have rich chocolate smells taste and tones with a smooth chocolate creaminess. I know why not just eat a candy bar... Well the thing is I like beer better than generic candy bars, anyone have a sweet chocolate stout recipe they would be willing to share?

tre6mafya said:
Okay Brew Fam, I am in search of a sweet chocolate stout recipe. I'd love it to have rich chocolate smells taste and tones with a smooth chocolate creaminess. I know why not just eat a candy bar... Well the thing is I like beer better than generic candy bars, anyone have a sweet chocolate stout recipe they would be willing to share?
forgot to add would like it to be extract with specialty grains or partial mash

Stevenstrangeways said:
Check out the recipe called Deception Cream Stout. It's exactly what you're describing. There is a n extract and all grain versions.I'll be brewing it myself this weekend.
Cheers & Beers!

Thanks stevenstrangeways!! I'll be looking this up shortly!!

Thank you Stevenstrangeways and tre6mafya I'm *bran new* to brewing and this is my goal. My only difference is that I want it nitro which I know nada about YET.

Well, Nitro is kinda funny... You have to have a nitro cylinder, a nitro regulator, a special nitro tap for it, and go somewhere that sells it in a beer gas combo. Outside of that, this should be enough. I force carb my beers with Co2 first at about 1.3 vols. and then serve with beer gas (which gives you the nitro effect). Beer gas is a 30% Co2 and 70% Nitro mix specific to nitro stout. It is a bit of a hassle but if you are new to brewing, might I suggest making standard stout first, get some practice in, before going through the hassle of setting up a Nitro system. It gets expensive when you need both a Co2 and Nitro tank, regulator, and tap for nitro on top of having to have separate gasses. :)

I love stouts, I make them all the time and compete with them. Practice before complexity, master your grain/extract build, and find what you really like in your stouts first. But what do I know... I am INSANE!!!

fwiw, I've kept this recipe on tap continuously for over 15 years (right now I have ~ 2.3 kegs worth on hand :)) after having my first taste of Young's Double Chocolate Stout on tap at the Legal Seafoods Experimental Kitchen in Boston.

I marinate the cocoa nibs and scraped/smushed vanilla bean in dark rum for a week, dump the works in a clean carboy and rack the beer on top (this is literally the only brew that I use a "secondary" fermentor). It does not require much aging at all, it's darned smooth within a couple of weeks of kegging.

A handful of years ago I added a nitro faucet and dropped the carbonation down to ~ 1.2 volumes where it serves with a thick creamy head. A short pour puts me to bed nearly every night...

Cheers!
tcs_10g.jpg

Latest posts

Back