Looking for kettle heater elements

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TypicalNerveCell

Reaction score
Hi folks! I've made a few brews using a cheap diy plastic bucket with arduino controlled heater elements, but now I'm looking to make a new setup using stainless steel stockpots.

I have been looking all over for suitable elements, but I am having a hard time. Ideally I would like two elements rated at 1500W (or close enough) at 240V, for reasons... In addition I'd like elements that have a grounding terminal, so the actual stockpot can be grounded.

Oh, and of course I am looking for a budget friendly option ;)
Something that would last a lifetime is something I could spend more on, but I get the impression a lot (most?) high quality heater elements are in the high wattage category.

Hi folks! I've made a few brews using a cheap diy plastic bucket with arduino controlled heater elements, but now I'm looking to make a new setup using stainless steel stockpots.

I have been looking all over for suitable elements, but I am having a hard time. Ideally I would like two elements rated at 1500W (or close enough) at 240V, for reasons... In addition I'd like elements that have a grounding terminal, so the actual stockpot can be grounded.

Oh, and of course I am looking for a budget friendly option ;)
Something that would last a lifetime is something I could spend more on, but I get the impression a lot (most?) high quality heater elements are in the high wattage category.
Ive no idea where your from but assuming your in north american as you havent stated otherwise theres not a lot of options in the US or canada for 1500w 240v elements... One 3500w or 4500w element would typically be better in this case (both can be powered by a 20a 240v circuit). There are cartridge heaters but I guess I should ask why you want such low power output elements when you have 240v? low wattage is not ideal, low watt density is. Meaning you want an element with a lot of surface area to spread that power out over. most of these setups have a stainless base or are mounted in a stainless enclosure that has a ground lug to attach a ground wire.

The wattage has little to do with quality and more to do with their designed original intention which is normally not brewing beer.

What amount of liquid do you anticipate heating at one time? also what is the amperage of the power circuit you have on hand to power these? you can build a very inexpensive 240v ULWD heated stainless kettle that works very well if thats your goal.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply. I am in Norway, so 240V is standard. Large circuits are not however. For the moment, the largest circuit available in my apartment is 16A, but that would require a not inexpensive extension cord. 13A is available in the kitchen, so I'm looking for ~3000W of total effect, to heat a typical 28L pre-boil batch, maybe a little bit more.

Thanks for the reply. I am in Norway, so 240V is standard. Large circuits are not however. For the moment, the largest circuit available in my apartment is 16A, but that would require a not inexpensive extension cord. 13A is available in the kitchen, so I'm looking for ~3000W of total effect, to heat a typical 28L pre-boil batch, maybe a little bit more.
understood

Back