Looking for feedback on hoppy red ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peruvian802

Reaction score
Folks will be drinking Heady, Lawsons, etc. at a party I'm attending and want a HB that will hold it's own. I don't want another IPA though, so I thought a hoppy red ale might be a good choice. Please let me know your thoughts. Here's what I'm thinking:

Malts

9 lbs Pale 2-row

2 lb Munich

1 lb. CaraRed Malt

1 lb. Crystal 60

1 lb. Corn Sugar

Hops

1 oz. Magnum, 60 minutes

1 oz. Citra, 30 minutes

1 oz. Cascade, 20 minutes

1 oz. Cascade, 10 minutes

Yeast:
Chico

Dry-Hops: 2 oz. Citra

Mash @ 152

That recipe looks pretty good. But I'll share my next brew plan with you... So many IRA's I have with high ibu taste almost jarring if they're too dry. This last summer I tasted the best (and most interesting) IRA I've ever had. It had flaked oats, LOTS of flaked oats I'm sure. So while having a high ibu I'm sure (brewery didn't calculate IBU) and I'm sure a fairly dry body, the slick mouth feel just it overwhelmingly drinkable. Just an idea, this will probably be my next brew.:mug:

Personally I would ditch the sugar, add another pound of base malt and mash at 151 or so. The two pounds of caramal/crystal malt should help keep things balanced. I would say 1.014 is about the perfect FG for IRA with an OG over 1.060

That recipe looks pretty good. But I'll share my next brew plan with you... So many IRA's I have with high ibu taste almost jarring if they're too dry. This last summer I tasted the best (and most interesting) IRA I've ever had. It had flaked oats, LOTS of flaked oats I'm sure. So while having a high ibu I'm sure (brewery didn't calculate IBU) and I'm sure a fairly dry body, the slick mouth feel just it overwhelmingly drinkable. Just an idea, this will probably be my next brew.:mug:

Hmm, sounds interesting. Remember the name of the beer?

Thanks for the feedback.

I ditched the dextrose and added additional base malts as follows:

8 lbs Pale 2-row

4 lb Munich

1 lb. CaraRed Malt

1 lb. Crystal 60

0.5 lb. Flaked Oats

1 oz. Citra, 30 minutes
1 oz. Cascade, 20 minutes
1 oz. Cascade, 10 minutes

Put all of those in at flameout, cool to 175F, and let them steep for 30 minutes. Then finish your chilling.

For dryhop, add in something else besides just citra. Tons of options here but 2 oz amarillo, 1 oz citra; or 2 oz centennial, 1 oz citra; 1 citra, 1 centen, 1 simcoe; etc. Citra is so distinctive that it can be too "juicy" which is why I like a nice grapefruity hop to balance it with. But this is all personal taste of course.

Back