Looking for Denver Pale Ale Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

D_Ranged_Eskimo

Reaction score
As the title suggests, does anyone have a clone for Denver Pale Ale by Great Divide. The beer is an outstanding (in my most humble of opinions) English Style Pale Ale, but after some preliminary research, there doesn't seem to be any information regarding a clone.

I've heard that Great Divide likes to keep their information given on their brewing ingredients and techniques to a minimum, but if anyone has something close, that would be outstanding.

I'm going to brew this Sunday, and at the moment, going to try the Common Room ESB by KingBrianI, but if someone comes through with some solid information, then it will be the DPA. Thanks.

I've been looking for a Dever Pale Ale clone too. I haven't been able to find much information either.

Here's one I put together that's pretty close to Jamil's ESB recipe. It turned out great. I didn't do a side by side so I'm not sure how close it was to the DPA though. You could start with this and tweak it until you get something you like.

For a six gallon batch:

10lbs Pale ale malt
8oz crystal 40
8oz aromatic malt
5oz crystal 120
3oz special B malt

1.7oz Kent Goldings, 60min
1.2oz Kent Goldings, 20min
1.9oz Kent Goldings, 1min

Yeast was Wyeast 1318 (london ale III)

I really like this yeast. It left a nice malty finish and aroma.

Good luck!

Thanks Dedn. I actually just brewed up KingBrianI's Commonroom ESB over the weekend and am really interested to see how it turns out. I was brewed with 11# MO, british medium and dark malt, and no aromatic or special b.

I'm going to have to try this next though and see how it is.

I just emailed them (asking can't hurt!) and got this reply:

Hi Geoffrey,

Thanks for your email. Unfortunately, since all of our recipe info is proprietary, we don’t release clone recipes. Sorry! I wish I had a better answer for you.

Cheers,

Word Nerd

So... it looks like we are going to have to do this the hard (and fun!) way. I am hot on this project so I will update often and post my results... but I will also admit I am a rank beginner.

Must admit, this is a great ploy by GDBC... I will be buying lots of Denver PA for "research" purposes!

Did anyone ever come up with anything close for this? I'm dying to try a clone, but I've never made an ESB so I really don't like my odds of making my own clone recipe haha

Back