looking for advice on kölsch recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattdee1

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I brewed a kölsch last week, based on this recipe: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=33548

After chilling and pitching yeast, I realized I had forgotten to add the 5-min hop addition of 1/2oz tettnanger (d'oh!).

The last kölsch I made I really hated because it was under-hopped, placing way too much emphasis on the pilsner malt flavor for my tastes. The thing about this recipe that caught my attention was the high-ish IBU (36), and the comments citing that IBU as part of what makes the beer crisp and good.

And here, I forgot to add all of the damn hops to get that IBU. Since it's such a late addition I'm wondering what its true effect is; beersmith says it only contributes about 2 IBU, but there is also flavor and aroma to consider.

So now I'm wondering what everybody would do in my situation. Options:

- let it ride and save the unused tettnanger for something else
- dry hop with the tettnanger
- punt on the kölsch idea and dry hop with something else to make more of a pale ale

My understanding is that tettnanger is used pretty much exclusively for boil additions (not dry-hopping) so I'm wondering if it might taste like crap as a dry hop. Anybody tried it?

The only reason I am considering option #3 above is because I really don't want to end up with another batch of under-hopped kölsch.

The 5 min addition (amount?) if the usual ounce or so may contribute a bit of flavor and aroma, but not a heck of a lot. You can try dry-hopping with the tet, but don't leave it on too long and don't use a whole lot as those low-alpha hops get real grassy real quick in high dry-hop amounts. As a Kolsch it'll be fine.

I think you'll be fine, especially since you had the 20-min addition in there. That will add some aroma and flavor.

The 5min addition is 1/2 oz (for 5gal batch). Actually, the part I didn't mention is that I actually doubled the recipe to 10gal, so I really have 1oz of tett left over. The beer is fermenting in 2 buckets right now, so maybe I'll dry-hop one of them and leave the other one be.

The 5min addition is 1/2 oz (for 5gal batch). Actually, the part I didn't mention is that I actually doubled the recipe to 10gal, so I really have 1oz of tett left over. The beer is fermenting in 2 buckets right now, so maybe I'll dry-hop one of them and leave the other one be.

This sounds like a good solution. Its what makes home brewing fun you can play around and see what you like more for next time.

Personally, I'd keep all of my hop additions at the 60 min mark for this type of brew but I am sure it will be tasty either way.

36 IBUs are really high for kolch which is usually in the low to mid 20s. You have more of a pale ale there really so I wouldn't be afraid to go ahead and dry hop it if you like. You can get a really nice balanced kolsch with just base malt and 6% Vienna plus 2 modest hop additions at 60 and 15. The subtle yeast character and hops do come through more than malt.

36 IBUs are really high for kolch which is usually in the low to mid 20s. You have more of a pale ale there really so I wouldn't be afraid to go ahead and dry hop it if you like. You can get a really nice balanced kolsch with just base malt and 6% Vienna plus 2 modest hop additions at 60 and 15. The subtle yeast character and hops do come through more than malt.

Thanks for this. I'm going to try this in biab this weekend:
Ingredients
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
5 lbs 8.0 oz Pilsner (2 Row) Ger (2.0 SRM) Grain 1 91.7 %
8.0 oz Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM) Grain 2 8.3 %
0.50 oz Tettnang [4.50 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 3 13.7 IBUs
1.00 oz Saaz [3.75 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop 4 10.3 IBUs
1.0 pkg German Ale/Kolsch (White Labs #WLP029) [35.49 ml] Yeast 5 -
Mash in 10 qts at 150 for 90 minutes. Mash out 9 qts at 168. 5% session beer. Yum.

Latest posts

Back