Looking for advice on a dry-hop/timing issue

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doublebogey10

Reaction score
I have a Double IPA batch that I brewed on May 23. Today (June 2) marks 10 days. It's at 1.011 and I don't expect it to go lower.
I'm looking for this to be ready to drink by June 29, the first day of a week-long camping trip.
Here's what I'm trying to decide today: When to dry-hop and bottle.
I leave this Thursday (June 6) and will be out of town for more than a week. So, do I:
A - Dry-hop beginning today and then try to bottle June 5/6 and then I have three full weeks of bottle conditioning (and I would be bottling about two weeks out from brew day). Or ...
B - Wait and add the dry hops sometime this week before I leave on the 6th and let it dry-hop for a little more than a week while I am out of town and bottle on the 15th when I get back. That would be two weeks of bottle conditioning and more than three weeks since brew day when I bottle

I'm leaning towards A because three days is likely long enough for a dry hop and I'd rather have that extra week of bottle conditioning so the beer is ready for my camping trip. And, while this has never happened to me, I've heard and read about the increased chances of a grassy flavor if dry-hopped for too long. (more than a week/10 days). But...this is kind of a bigger beer (~8.6 ABV) and having only two weeks in primary/secondary before bottling might not be enough.

Any thoughts?

Back