Looking for a German Style Mentor

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I was wondering if some experienced German style brewer, would take me under her/her wing and teach me how to brew decent German style beers in accordance with Reinheitsgebot?

I know this became a LODO thread, but there are lots of other aspects of how to brew good German-style beers. For me, when I read Yeast (the book by Chris White and Jamil Zainasheff) the second time and started to try to take what they were writing about and apply it to my process and context, my lagers in particular took a decided turn upward in quality. Fermentation, for me, is the key to great lagers.

Another step forward for me was when I started doing decoctions, after reading/watching Brau Kaisers materials for the third or fourth time. I don't do decoctions for all my lagers, but I do for the Germans.

An IRL friend of mine brews a killer Bock, that has won both category and best of show gold medals and been brewed up at a commercial brewery (Hailstorm) and added to their regular rotation. He doesn't do LODO, so he couldn't help you with that, but he could perhaps help you with any specific questions you have. If you want to get in contact with him, send me PM.

Last edited:
I know this became a LODO thread, but there are lots of other aspects of how to brew good German-style beers. For me, when I read Yeast (the book by Chris White and Jamil Zainasheff) the second time and started to try to take what they were writing about and apply it to my process and context, my lagers in particular took a decided turn upward in quality. Fermentation, for me, is the key to great lagers.

Another step forward for me was when I started doing decoctions, after reading/watching Brau Kaisers materials for the third or fourth time. I don't do decoctions for all my lagers, but I do for the Germans.

An IRL friend of mine brews a killer Bock, that has won both category and best of show gold medals and been brewed up at a commercial brewery (Hailstorm) and added to their regular rotation. He doesn't do LODO, so he couldn't help you with that, but he could perhaps help you with any specific questions you have. If you want to get in contact with him, send me PM.

I may take you up on that offer - thanks.

You wouldn't happen to be able to post the recipe here would you?

I did... Yes. Teach me how to make a nice German Traditional Bock.

Certainly! Just let me know when you get though the Brewing Textbook section here, and we can move to stage 2.
http://www.********************/uncategorized/list-of-brewing-references/

Certainly! Just let me know when you get though the Brewing Textbook section here, and we can move to stage 2.

I've been following this thread for the hell of it, and the chance of picking up a random pointer here and there. That is an impressive compilation of information.

I've been following this thread for the hell of it, and the chance of picking up a random pointer here and there. That is an impressive compilation of information.
Thanks!

Where in Mn are you?

That is a TALL order.

I'm on the hops section. This chart, is very interesting to me. Because it's broken out by country. If I'm understanding correctly... These German hop varieties, a brewer would use for an authentic German style?

IMG_20200527_221648.jpg

Also I never knew hops are primarily a preservative without it's acid contribution beer would quickly turn to vinegar due to secondary infection.

PH, PH, PH it's all about PH. Focus attention to PH first and foremost.

I need much more study...

Last edited:
That is a TALL order Jedi Master

Don't complain.. you are getting off easy. :)
Back in the day there was no site to go to with all the information nicely placed there to read. Instead you had to be lucky enough to get invited to join the closed FB group and then try to pick up process by listening carefully and not asking too many stupid questions.

Go, read and enjoy the free knowledge. Remember, low oxygen brewing is mostly just good brewing practice and even if you never do a batch that way, you will still absorb lots of useful things to help improve your game.

Don't complain.. you are getting off easy. :)
Back in the day there was no site to go to with all the information nicely placed there to read. Instead you had to be lucky enough to get invited to join the closed FB group and then try to pick up process by listening carefully and not asking too many stupid questions.

Go, read and enjoy the free knowledge. Remember, low oxygen brewing is mostly just good brewing practice and even if you never do a batch that way, you will still absorb lots of useful things to help improve your game.

I'm trying my best to take full advantage of all this great information. It's going to take.me a while to get though it and comprehend what I can. It's most definitely read and reread multiple times, deep subject... expecially to try and relate it to tiny batches, that a home brewer would brew.

I have a question... Reading about mashing and enzymatic conversation starches to sugars. Why couldn't bittering hops also be added to the mash tun during the mashing cycle? Would this adversely impact mash PH?

Bro... I'm green so I doubt you'll get much of anything useful from me. But please do contribute... I'm soaking up as much as I can like a sponge. I may need a ram upgrade though. My brain is only so big...

Note Worthy.

An important malt-derived volatile is dimethyl sulphide (DMS, 4.112), the
flavour threshold of which is 40±60 ppb but some all-malt lagers with 100 ppb DMS are found acceptable. Above this level DMS gives a sweetcorn flavour. DMS is produced by thermal decomposition of S-methylmethionine the half-life of which is reported to be 35 min. at 100C. DMS formed by kilning and wort boiling will be rapidly lost by evaporation but S-methylmethionine will continue to break down during wort
cooling and the DMS formed then will persist into beer.
To minimize such DMS formation it is recommended to use malts with low S-methylmethionine contents and to extend the wort boiling time to decompose the majority of the precursor and drive off the DMS. Worts from high-temperature wort boiling systems contain negligible amounts of DMS and its precursors. It is also
recommended to minimize the whirlpool stand time and to use quick wort cooling to reduce the time that the wort is held hot.

Note Worthy #2

The copper finings should be added early enough in the boil so that they all dissolve but late enough so that they are not significantly degraded. For the
same reason long stands in the whirlpool should be avoided. A wort of pH of 5.0 is required for efficient fining and worts below pH 4.5 often fail to fine. A difference of 0.3 pH units can make a difference between optimum (A) clarity and poor (D) clarity. Malt
variety and quality also influences copper fining performance. As well as the influence malt has on the pH of the wort, the amount of cold break protein (the amount of cold break that forms naturally without the addition of copper finings) correlates positively with copper fining performance.

To be clear when I mentioned German breweries doing low oxygen I did say Macros. As was already mentioned by Martin, the bulk of German breweries do not do this but are also making darker, more highly hopped and sour styles where the effects of stage B oxidation are not noticed as much. Most of these breweries are small and it's not practical or affordable to upgrade especially when their customer base is close and accustomed to the 'house flavors' as they call it.

Which German breweries would you consider as "Macro"?
Would you also include the likes of e.g. Augustiner, Tegernseer, Ayinger, Weihenstephaner, etc. into this category?
Most of these highly respected bavarian breweries I wouldn't consider as Macro personally, and they are producing Helles Lager as their core beer style. Do you know if those are also implementing low oxygen procedures?

Thanks for the list! I couldn't get the Kunze link (to vlb) to work. This here is a link to the 6th edition: Technology Brewing and Malting (6th) | VLB Berlin

And since VLB is giving out a free sample, I thought I link it, so that everybody interested can decide on the readability, or lack thereof, for themselves; it's four pages from the chapter about mashing:
https://www.vlb-berlin.org/sites/default/files/2019-07/KunzeEN_2019_Extract.pdf(Unfortunately table 3.4 is missing...)

I'm bound and determined to learn how to brew a decent Traditional Bock. I've attempted a traditional Bock several times with various levels of success. All drinkable, but not close to authentic and what I've drank while visiting Germany.

What recipe and specific ingredients did you use?
Also, what was your process?
What beers are you comparing it to?

Which German breweries would you consider as "Macro"?
Would you also include the likes of e.g. Augustiner, Tegernseer, Ayinger, Weihenstephaner, etc. into this category?
Most of these highly respected bavarian breweries I wouldn't consider as Macro personally, and they are producing Helles Lager as their core beer style. Do you know if those are also implementing low oxygen procedures?

Yes.

Yes.

Of course, thats who we try and emulate doing the things we do.

Alright, I get it, thanks.
It's just that I wasn't able to associate a brewery like e.g. Weihenstephan to the word "Macro".
But yeah, it makes sense, even Weihenstephan is an industrial brewery with a fairly large production and distribution. I know that and other bavarian breweries quite well (besides their inner workings, that is) as I spent 4 years of my life at Freising-Weihenstephan....but NOT at the brewing faculty, otherwise I would probably know a bit more on the specific subject at hand :).

What recipe and specific ingredients did you use?
Also, what was your process?
What beers are you comparing it to?

I've tried a number of recipes including extract in the beginning. But this is as far as I got with recipe tweaking before deciding I'm missing something important in my technique(s) and asking for a mentor.

Please don't laugh at the recipe. I need help and I know it.
IMG_20200528_103955.jpg

Last edited:
IMO.. Munich, Pilsner and caramunich or carahell are the only malts you should need to make a good bock. Any more and you just muddy the flavor. The most important ingredient is process.

IMO.. Munich, Pilsner and caramunich or carahell are the only malts you should need to make a good bock. Any more and you just muddy the flavor. The most important ingredient is process.

That's was kind of the first all-grain attempt. Besides I used carmel 80 instead of caramunich or carahell.
IMG_20200528_134228.jpg

I am for the most part a traditional German brewer. I've been Brewing excellent German bier for years and have won many awards in very large competitions. Now that my arm hurts from patting myself on the back, I have to say I've never tried the complete LODO brewing method. But it is common brewing knowledge that hotside aeration is BAD. We all or should try to eliminate it wherever possible. Don't splash in the MLT, stir the mash gently, sparge gently, don't splash on the transfer to the BK, etc. I've even thought of using a blanket of CO2 in my MLT. So it stands to reason LODO is a good thing and nothing to get uptight about. If you don't want to use it fine.

On the water side of the discussion I just installed an RO DI system in the brewery because I was tired of buying and carrying 40 gal of water every brew day. Some mentioned Munchen water. I never try to match water from any one region because no water is perfect for every bier. Instead I build the water that's best for the given style I'm brewing at the time. I would imagine the German brewers do the same.
prost

I am for the most part a traditional German brewer. I've been Brewing excellent German bier for years and have won many awards in very large competitions. Now that my arm hurts from patting myself on the back, I have to say I've never tried the complete LODO brewing method. But it is common brewing knowledge that hotside aeration is BAD. We all or should try to eliminate it wherever possible. Don't splash in the MLT, stir the mash gently, sparge gently, don't splash on the transfer to the BK, etc. I've even thought of using a blanket of CO2 in my MLT. So it stands to reason LODO is a good thing and nothing to get uptight about. If you don't want to use it fine.

On the water side of the discussion I just installed an RO DI system in the brewery because I was tired of buying and carrying 40 gal of water every brew day. Some mentioned Munchen water. I never try to match water from any one region because no water is perfect for every bier. Instead I build the water that's best for the given style I'm brewing at the time. I would imagine the German brewers do the same.
prost

Practical knowledge right there. I'm starting to feel really good about asking for help. I've already learned so much in a very short time, I can't begin to thank you all enough. I hear all the time from friends and family "all you got to do is ask" well... I'm glad I did.

I have a lot of studying to do, thanks to Die_Beerery and I mean that sincerely. Not that I'll comprehend even a fraction of it. But it's crazy how much, I've packed into my brain already. I've read of several misconceptions already, that I've corrected in my thought process.

Little story... My son in law came over this evening and of course there's always home brew on tap. I said go and get you a beer. I told him that I have Sazzy German Pilsner, Notty Blonde Ale and a German Kölsch. He said he wanted the Blonde ale. After he raves about how good the blonde ale was. I said try a little of the pilsner. So he went for another quart of brew.

He took a drink and his eyes lit up. He said Holy **** you brewed this? Yes I did son, it was perhaps the most intimidating of all the beers, I've brewed yet. He said why is that? Because there is no where to hide your mistakes in a pilsner. Each and every one of your mistakes from grain to glass shows up in the final beer. He said well you did a excellent job on this beer. He may think so, but I can taste my mistakes in the beer. This taught me a valuable lesson... I guess we who brew, are our own worst critics. Here's a picture of my dumb luck German Pilsner. That I put so much love and care into.
IMG_20200526_180305.jpg

It felt very odd adding in 4 ounces of Sazz hops to wort, throughout the boil. But based on the alpha acid contents of 2.8, it's what was needed for 25.5 IBU. and... it worked out well. Pilsner is such a simple recipe but at the same time, there is no where to hide any of your mistakes. So at least for me it's a very intimidating beer to brew.

Last edited:
I've even thought of using a blanket of CO2 in my MLT.

This thought has also crossed my mind, but only a few days ago. I believe I could pull this off actually. All it would take is a couple more holes in the lid of my Rubbermaid 10 gallon cooler mashtun. One to purge O and one to add CO2. I might need to make a gasket for the lid, if I we're going to pressurize it. But I don't think I would go anymore than a couple PSI honestly. Has anyone done this before? Am I thinking correctly or am I an accident waiting to happen?

I've been doing LODO stuff now for....maybe 2 1/2 years. Your advice above is spot on. People who haven't done it and have doubts should try it and see if they can perceive a difference.

There is one, at least it's been obvious in my own brewing.

However, that's not the end of the story. Whether someone LIKES the result is a different deal entirely. They may not.

I've done a Pilsner with flavor that is like a punch in the mouth of Pilsner flavor. It is impressive, and I took it as a sign that I had conquered much--not all--of the LODO methodology.

But here's the thing: I didn't care for it that much. I have a super-taster friend who thought it was terrific, but me? No. I'm not a huge fan of punch-in-the-mouth pilsner flavor. Pretty much like how I'm not a fan of Belgians. I-just-don't-care-for-the-flavor-that-much.

*****************​

I do a dark lager (Darth Lager!). It's my flagship beer. Done with LODO techniques, the dark flavors overwhelm the flavor palette (yeah, palette, not palate). It just isn't what I wanted, and it's not what made that beer my house beer. Too much....whatever.

I've tried toning down the recipe, reduced the amount of dark malts (choc wheat and choc malt) to relatively small amounts, and it STILL is overwhelming when using LODO stuff.

So I "regressed." I brewed Darth using non-lodo techniques. No pre-boiling. No mash cap. Nothing out of the ordinary. Guess what? It's BACK! The beer I loved, and made over and over again, is back. I still have a half-keg of "Heavy" Darth on tap, but it just doesn't work as well....for me.

But....I've used LODO stuff with an Amber which was magical. So it remains a part of my repertoire, and for good reason.

***************​

I've done this LODO thing long enough now that I can offer some conclusions, based on my own experience and no one else's: there is definitely an effect and at times it's stunning. At other times, it produces a beer that's still....impressive....but one I don't necessarily want to drink.

In the end, people should ignore LODO techniques if it's not their thing, but they also shouldn't dismiss them as a figment of imagination. The result is not a figment.

But really, why should anyone care what I do in brewing? Or you do? My family still loves me. I have beer *I* like on tap. My bank account neither shrinks nor grows based on others' preferences.

And what the heck--it's not that hard to try it and produce discernable results. @bassmann2003 has shown exactly how to do that in the quoted post. You don't need expensive equipment to give it a shot. You may or may not like what it does, but then you can decide if the fiddling is worth the result.

Good luck to all with this, and let's hope we can get back to more civility here.

Everything he said, OP.

I have made several (less than successful) attempts at LODO brewing. It has definitely improved märzen recipe and the process has become part of the recipe within the limitations of my system. But otherwise I have not seen a great change, likely due to being unable to keep my DO low enough. I'm pretty happy with my beers though, they are pleasing to most and I like to think they are above average for homebrew so I don't feel great pressure to make changes other than for the joy of brewing.

That said, I have made many changes to my brewery to decrease oxygen on the cold side, and I am careful on the hot side, but not (shall we say) fully committed. These changes have been nothing but beneficial to all my beers.

Mongoose when do I get to buy you a beer and chat? We seem to agree on too many things

This thought has also crossed my mind, but only a few days ago. I believe I could pull this off actually. All it would take is a couple more holes in the lid of my Rubbermaid 10 gallon cooler mashtun. One to purge O and one to add CO2. I might need to make a gasket for the lid, if I we're going to pressurize it. But I don't think I would go anymore than a couple PSI honestly. Has anyone done this before? Am I thinking correctly or am I an accident waiting to happen?
I don't think you need a gasket or any pressure. CO2 is heavy and should sink. Also any pressure might add to the chance of a stuck mash.
I also have done several decoction mashes so if you have any questions I should be able to help. Now I Know this might fly in the face of LODO but it does add so much malty goodness plus aiding in clarity, etc.

I don't think you need a gasket or any pressure. CO2 is heavy and should sink. Also any pressure might add to the chance of a stuck mash.
I also have done several decoction mashes so if you have any questions I should be able to help. Now I Know this might fly in the face of LODO but it does add so much malty goodness plus aiding in clarity, etc.

I may take you up on that offer. Thanks

No your right... No need to pressurize MLT. CO2 will displace O since it is heavier. I actually remember this when I was a kid (long time ago).

Gas purging your mashtun is more complicated then you'd imagine and somewhat expensive because of the gas consumed in multiple pressure/vacuum cycles. Best to forget about that and just concentrate on the chemical oxygen scavengers. Metabisulfite works wonders.

Unfortunately the CO2 blanket theory is not correct. Gasses are bouncing around their container with great energy and will mix as opposed to settling out based on density. This is good though because if stratification were the case, oxygen breathing inhabitants of the surface of the earth would be dead.

Last edited:
That's was kind of the first all-grain attempt. Besides I used carmel 80 instead of caramunich or carahell.

The beer you remember from you trip to Germany may (or may not) be using malts that are not available in the US. Some breweries have their own proprietary malts made for them. I'd skip the C-80 and use caramunich.
Try Substituting Weyermann pale malt for the Pilsner. Some say that substituting UK malts like Marris Otter for the pilsner provides a good flavor combination. The floor malted bohemian and the Weyermann Barke malts might also have the flavors you are looking for. I've seen some recipes a combination of pilsner and pale malt or even 99% Barke Munich.
You can also try scaling back your recipe to 4 gallons, ferment in a corny keg with the dip tube shortened and push the beer to a purged keg in a closed transfer and see if that helps.

Last edited:
Unfortunately the CO2 blanket theory is not correct. Gasses are bouncing around their container with great energy and will mix as opposed to settling out based on density. This is good though because if stratification were the case, oxygen breathing inhabitants of the surface of the earth would be dead.
What's more, if you were able to seal and completely gas purge your entire system (which as @Bilsch noted is unnecessary,) you would definitely want to use an inert gas like nitrogen, not CO2, which would go into solution and start messing with your chemistry. This, to me, is truly one of the beauties of doing low oxygen brewing on our scale. A couple of pinches of magic dust and a cheap cake pan, for instance, can do what the big guys need elaborate, costly engineering solutions to accomplish. OTOH, if elaborate engineering is really your bag, be my guest.

Gas purging your mashtun is more complicated then you'd imagine and somewhat expensive because of the gas consumed in multiple pressure/vacuum cycles. Best to forget about that and just concentrate on the chemical oxygen scavengers. Metabisulfite works wonders.

Which is exactly why brewing on the space station and moon is the next big thing. NoDO. (well, the temperatures and lack of atmospheric pressure present opportunities/challenges, but that's for another topic).

Which is exactly why brewing on the space station and moon is the next big thing. NoDO. (well, the temperatures and lack of atmospheric pressure present opportunities/challenges, but that's for another topic).
While I know this is tongue in cheek, the reality is, many staling mechanisms happen without the presence of oxygen. So, while you can rule out air in this instance, it's only one of the many places you need to not only be conscious of, but be actively mitigating.
Which is another factor that, decoction has fell out of favor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back