Looking back, should I check my Melomel differently?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SkyeBrewer

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I'm definitely new to mead making but I must admit, so far, my first mead ( a cherry Melomel) turned out fantastic. It still has a few months of bottle conditioning to endure but per my taste test I'm pleased. However I'm not sure i measured my original gravity properly and I'm trying to get my next batches gravity more accurate. You see my Melomel had floating cherry pieces in it when I checked the OG I got a reading of 1.125 which I realize is off the charts. Any suggestions for getting a better OG next time. By the way my Melomel fermented out to .998 so I know it finessed ok. Thanks for the help!!

Try to buy a turkey basted or something similar to avoid the cherry chunks. They will throw your gravity off.

Right, I use one actually that's how I got an accurate FG. So your saying measure my OG without the fruits that I may add?

Right, I use one actually that's how I got an accurate FG. So your saying measure my OG without the fruits that I may add?
You have to remember, fruit will add a bit to the OG if its measured without the fruit. Yet I'd say not to worry as the difference is reasonably minimal and little is gained from using pulped fruit or blitzing it in a processor (possible bitterness from cracked/broken seeds, pits etc).

The tiny change in % ABV isn't worth worrying about. Accurate FG is only a measurement away anyhow......

Latest posts

Back