Looking at changing fermenters

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cluckk

Reaction score
I have been making ten gallons at a time lately, split into two batches--mostly parti-gyles with a larger and smaller beer. However, I would like to make and ferment some full tens. I have the kettle and MLT volumes to do this. Fermenter volume is a different story. I know I could just run the wort into two different carboys--which I have plenty of--but am looking at ideas for some larger fermenters, but don't have a lot of money to drop on a conical.

My LHBS carries these for wine making:

fermenter.jpg

They do not seal, but rely on positive pressure from fermentation to keep out unwanted visitors. They are twelve gallon, which should leave good room for Kraeusen. They are also cheap--my middle name.

I'm wondering who, if any, has used these for fermenting beer?

if your LHBS sells LME, ask what they do with the empty containers.

they're 15 gallon and a bottling spigot fits for using as a blow-off tube

my LHBS owner gave me one when I asked him about an empty one that was sitting behind the counter. Can't beat free

IMG_8312.jpg

Excellent idea. Unfortunately, mine sells LME from smaller containers. I'll have to look around.

I use thoese exact fermenter and have never ha a bad batch. After the foam falls I then transfer to a Carboy. I do cider and beer in these and do fresh fruit wine in a bucket. Just a little heads up on a 5 gallon batch I get foam for 4 to 6 inches soo in a ten gallon batch I would think you would get a 12 inch foam. Make sure there is room.

Back