Long road to conversion

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MashTunnelOfLove

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Obviously people convert direct fire kettles to electric. My hopefully simple question is this:

If I buy some beautiful three port 'electric' rig, but cap off the element port until I wire up the garage and build a controller will there be any issues?

My gut feeling says no but I'm not sure if the traditional construction of direct fire kettles (tri clad or whatever) needs to be considered if I end up using this thing for a year before I finish the whole project.

I have my eye on the premium BIAB package from BrewHardware.

As long as you use metal heat shields to protect the port gaskets (if tri-clamlp), and any hoses & temp probe wires, you should be ok with the kettle on a propane burner. You don't want any flame impinging on any of the above.

Brew on :mug:

If it's beautiful it's going to look fired after you use it on direct heat. Not sure how that might look on an actual pot. On my keggles, which I converted from propane to electric, I was able to polish the sides that are seen but the bottom was discolored. I didn't bother to try to polish it though. I also had a monster of a propane burner with a cone flame and I suspect that contributed to it.

If you can only afford to buy a big new 3 vessel system right now, but can't swing the electrical, you would be much better off spending the whole budget on a single vessel eBIAB and get the electric installed with the extra money.

I'm in the process finishing up an automation program at the local Tech College and process control is next. It's likely more trouble/cost than it's worth but I want to build my own box. Between work, school and home renovations it's going to be a while before the swap happens. I'm in an 8 gallon pot right now and desperately want to size up for future eBIAB and some low gravity 10 gallon batches. Hell, it would be nice to ditch the boil over spray bottle.

Your all in one package would be my go to at the moment. I'm blessed that cost isn't a huge concern, I just want to have a hand in the instrumentation. If you have something in mind that would be fine for direct fire and re-circulation for a whirlpool I'm all ears. Otherwise I'd be happy to do one of your consultations. I really appreciate the input.

Back