Long primary Belgian brewers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jtp137

Reaction score
Those of you who do an extended primary in Belgian beers does the extended primary get rid of some of the esters and phenols

Do the yeast cells absorb these flavors like they do for diacetyl and acetaldehyde

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Not that I am aware of. Though the esters mellow and blend with time, but thats also true in the cold conditioner. (and we are talking months) I prefer a long primary, as most strains are slow to floc, and in higher alcohol beers, sometimes the last few gravity points take an extra week after it looks like fermentation is complete.

the point of a long primary to give the yeast the time they need to chew through those last few points of sugar (belgian yeasts can be slow to complete their fermentations), and to give them time to settle (belgians are often low flocculators).

belgian yeasts are supposed to yield a lot of esters and phenols... if you don't want those, use a cleaner yeast. yeast will not get rid of those. they might, however, age out a little.

the point of a long primary to give the yeast the time they need to chew through those last few points of sugar (belgian yeasts can be slow to complete their fermentations), and to give them time to settle (belgians are often low flocculators).

belgian yeasts are supposed to yield a lot of esters and phenols... if you don't want those, use a cleaner yeast. yeast will not get rid of those. they might, however, age out a little.

No I actually love belgians they are my favorite beers. I started using 4 week primary in my IIPA and large stouts and skipping the secondary.

I want to do this with my belgians but I was afraid the yeast would clean the esters up. If they dont then i want to start this practice with all my beers

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I do about a three month primary with my triple....Still perfectly belgian-y!

Back