Little Giant Pump

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pro: big, large volume.

Cons: Polypropylene - 150 deg F fluid temps.

Some people use this with higher temps. Let's see what people think.

Key on these: MD-SC - magnetic semi corrosive liquids - 150def F
MD-HC - magnetic highly corrosive liquids - 200 deg F.

You can get an equal pump cheaper on eBay, if you keep an eye on it, but there's nothing wrong with that pump for homebrewing.

I use my polypropylene head pump with boiling wort. The softening point of PP is well above 212F. We use these pumps at low pressure and very intermittently compared what they are designed for. It will last a lifetime in a homebrew environment, with proper care.

They are great pumps with a lot higher flow than the march 809's and are easier to prime. As said, since we're not pumping in a closed system the pressures are very low and as such the polypropylene heads will withstand boiling wort.

I forget my model number but mine has been working flawlessly for over a year. I got a 240V model for about $60. Circulate my HERMS with it at up to mash out temps and no problems.

I have two of the 2-md-sc and they have worked great so far. They prime right away and have had no problem recirculating the boiling wort. I think I picked mine up on ebay for 45 and 55 each.

I have two of the 2-md-sc and they have worked great so far. They prime right away and have had no problem recirculating the boiling wort. I think I picked mine up on ebay for 45 and 55 each.

You got a great price before they became a popular bidding item. I got my 2 for $165 each. Now you can't touch one for less then $230. I had a March 809 before and priming was a constant battle and flow rate for whirlpool chilling was not that impressive.

Priming is now a non-issue and the flow rate is so much better for whirlpool chilling.

I agree with all the comments and the flow rate and priming is a breeze. I have to tear mine apart though because the last 2-3 batches it has sounded terrible as I have been recirculating my whirlpool. No idea what it is but sounds like the head is going to explode.

Not to go completely OT but here's a 12v stainless pump for $34 from HF, not sure if the impeller is stainless though.

http://www.harborfreight.com/12-volt-marine-utility-pump-9576.html

That is not a mag drive pump. That means that the 'wetted' parts are not isolated from the gears and motors. Even if it is all stainless, you are going to be fooling with non-food grade materials and lubricating greases. I looked into several all stainless marine pumps and actually called the manufacturers to ask and they said "We call these 'dirty' pumps. They are certainly not food grade." Didn't call that specific manu, but just letting you know that isn't not all just about it being all stainless.

That is not a mag drive pump. That means that the 'wetted' parts are not isolated from the gears and motors. Even if it is all stainless, you are going to be fooling with non-food grade materials and lubricating greases. I looked into several all stainless marine pumps and actually called the manufacturers to ask and they said "We call these 'dirty' pumps. They are certainly not food grade." Didn't call that specific manu, but just letting you know that isn't not all just about it being all stainless.

Ahh I see. Thank you for the information!

The other types of pumps one can use that wetted parts are isolated are:

diaphragm pumps- but these are usually not rated for boiling temp (~150* max usually). Used in the wine industry more than beer because of that.
and
peristaltic pumps- great but not for higher flow rates. I use these kind for sparge pumps.

Submersible sump pumps work great for everything (CIP, Strike pump, mash pump) except moving boiling wort. The point of having something food grade, amongst other things, is that you can thoroughly sanitize it since it will eventually be holding chilled wort going to the fermenter. Everything before then is fine to use sump pumps for since it will be boiled afterwords.

The other types of pumps one can use that wetted parts are isolated are:

diaphragm pumps- but these are usually not rated for boiling temp (~150* max usually). Used in the wine industry more than beer because of that.
and
peristaltic pumps- great but not for higher flow rates. I use these kind for sparge pumps.

Submersible sump pumps work great for everything (CIP, Strike pump, mash pump) except moving boiling wort. The point of having something food grade, amongst other things, is that you can thoroughly sanitize it since it will eventually be holding chilled wort going to the fermenter. Everything before then is fine to use sump pumps for since it will be boiled afterwords.

When you say mash pump, are you suggesting moving your wort from the mash tun to the boil kettle with a submersible pump? You couldn't submerse a pump in a mash tun. I have be to missing something obvious here....

When you say mash pump, are you suggesting moving your wort from the mash tun to the boil kettle with a submersible pump? You couldn't submerse a pump in a mash tun. I have be to missing something obvious here....

You can gravity drain from the MLT into a grant and then use a submersible to pump out of the grant to recirculate or transfer elsewhere.

Latest posts

Back