Little Blue Pils

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Diaperload

Reaction score
I'm doing my first lager, a Czech Pilsner and have decided to add some fresh blackberries to it (I'll pasteurize them when the time comes). I chose a pilsner because I'm getting burnt out on fruited wheat beers.

Right now, the pilsner is in the fridge at 53° and I plan on keeping it there for 14 days. Then a diacetyl rest for 3 days. After that, lager condition.

My question is when to add the fruit. For an ale it's simple. Add it to secondary and let it sit in there for 3-5 days.

Should I add the blackberries before or after the diacetyl rest? Perhaps I should add them right now since I have 1 more week of fermenting in the fridge?

If I add the blackberries after the rest, then what? Room temp for a few days to let the blackberries ferment? Or should I put it back in the fridge at 53° for a week or so?

I'm pretty sure if I add the blackberries after the rest and go straight to lagering then they won't ferment.

I did a search but didn't see anything close to what I'm trying to achieve.

I have not done this but this makes sense to me. I would put them in after the D rest and leave it at D rest temperature for at least a week while watching for signs of secondary fermentation to complete. Rack to secondary and drop to lager temps.

It would make the most sense to add the fruit when you raise the temp for the D rest as cfonnes said.

I have not done this but this makes sense to me. I would put them in after the D rest and leave it at D rest temperature for at least a week while watching for signs of secondary fermentation to complete. Rack to secondary and drop to lager temps.

Thanks for the response. This is pretty much what I had in mind. I just needed a second opinion and/or a confirmation.

It would make the most sense to add the fruit when you raise the temp for the D rest as cfonnes said.

Actually it would make the most sense to add the fruit to his bowl of corn flakes and keep it out of the pilsner altogether. It's not a style that lends itself to fruit additions, not that any beer really does.

Actually it would make the most sense to add the fruit to his bowl of corn flakes and keep it out of the pilsner altogether. It's not a style that lends itself to fruit additions, not that any beer really does.

I agree, but wasn't going to go there.:mug:

Just took my first gravity reading....1.022 at 54°. So when it warms up, 1.023-1.024. I was hoping it would be lower. I put it on D rest. Think it will lower at all during the rest at room temp.? I'm planning 3 days of D rest then I'll add the blackberries.

Back