liquid the same as dme?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nope, liquid has some water content so it's a certain percentage less 'effective', per volume/weight. Unsure of exact, but it's something like 20% water so you'd need 20% more liquid extract than dried extract.

Yeah looks like divide by 1.25, so 2.8lbs would be the DME requirement to match the LME amount called for.

3.5 / 1.25 = 2.8

as an example for a typical 5 gal batch you usually get a 7lb bag of LIQUID extract OR a 6 lb bag of DRY extract for the same recipe/FG.

Why do some recipes call for both liquid and dry of the same kind of extract?

All of the 3 or 4 batches I've made have been very mediocre and all used all organic LME (no DME). I am thinking about trying an all DME recipe, organic or not, I am not sure. I am a bit discouraged by my results (to date certainly NOT worth the time effort put in for the results I get) but need to try a bit more. thinking of trying a recipe I am less likely to screw up, like a single varietal using hop pellets and dry yeast.

I can't speak to all recipes, but some are based on what's easy to get. Liquid is commonly sold in 3.3 pound cans, and it's easiest to use in increments of entire cans. Measuring out, say, 1 pound of LME from a can is messy and inconvenient. Dry, on the other hand, is easy to measure out in any quantity desired - and you can easily store what's left over in a plastic bag. Thus if you are shooting for a particular OG, you can get the bulk of the sugars from liquid and then use dry to finish it up.

As mentioned above, it's typically about getting the desired amount of extract in the recipe. Since DME is sold in 1lb and 3lb bags and LME sold as 3.15lb and 6lb jugs (with LME being approximately 80% the equivalent of DME due to the water) it allows an easier way to reach a certain amount of extract in a recipe to get a target gravity. 6lbs of LME generally equates to 4.8lbs DME, and the only way to get 4.8lbs of DME is to buy two 3lb bags and have 1.2lb leftover.

Rev.

Hey gang,

While I agree with the above, IMO, the difference goes beyond the measurements. DME will produce a beer that is MUCH lighter in color AND caramel taste. The Hef I have in bottle is more than 1/2 as dark and virtually no caramel flavor which allows the Hef flavors to come through. This is why I believe some recipes will call for both.

Once this Hef gets Carb'd up, I will be posting pics of both and a review.

Toy4Rick

Back