Liquid out post leaks with any pressure applied -- help? (Kegging newbie)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Geordan

Reaction score
Hey all,

Finally got my kegerator all set up -- it's a modest 4 tap conversion of an old GE fridge, and I'm really excited to get it into service. The problem I'm having is This Damned Schwarzbier (the beer that's determined to end me -- I've had more problems with this one stupid batch than all other collective brewing efforts total).

All kegs are pinlocks I bought from someone off Craigslist who wasn't too sure what they were; I cleaned, stripped and pressure tested all, and replaced all gaskets and o-rings -- and I also switched out the finnicky old poppets for the "universal poppets" sold by Ontario Beer Kegs.

Now, the keg the Schwarzbier is in -- and ONLY that keg -- leaks at the liquid out post whenever ANY lateral pressure is applied (think the pressure of the line moving when the fridge door closes). This leaks only happens when there's a disconnect seated; pushing or twisting the post doesn't produce a leak on its own. I've tried two separate disconnects, so it's unlikely to be a bad one. That leads me to believe it's the poppet.

I will admit I'm hoping there's an easier solution than venting the keg, switching out the poppet on the liquid out post, reconnecting it all and praying. Does anyone have any advice, experience or wisdom that may help?

Thanks!

If its leaking with a disconnect attached it is most likely the oring on the post. Try a little keg lube if its a new oring. If not try replacing it and using a little keg lube to help seal it.

Just wanted to come back and update this thread: OntarioBeerKegs sent me a bag of replacement pinlock o-rings no questions asked and it solved the problem immediately. Thanks OBK, and thanks to zach for the heads up about a simple solution!

Latest posts

Back