Liquid Luck Irish Red Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

extreme

Reaction score
Recipe:

Maris Otter - 9lb
Caravienne - 2lb
Wheat - 1lb
Caramunich - 8oz
Biscuit - 8oz
Aromatic - 6oz
Carapils - 4oz
Chocolate - 2oz

Northern Brewer - 7 AAU's - 60 min
Sterling - 2.5 AAU's - 30 min
Cascade - 1.5 AAU's - 30 min
Sterling - 2 AAU's - 3 min
Cascade - 2 AAU's - 3 min

Irish Moss - 15 min
Yeast Nutrient - 2 min in starter

Mash Schedule:

2-step mash - 30 min @ 147
30 min @ 153

I did an all-grain starter by just doing a mini-mash in a pot on the stove with 5.5 oz of the grains and a little over a quart of water. The starter obviously doesn't need to be done this way but I thought it was interesting and it worked out pretty well.

I opened up the first bottle a couple days ago after they'd been resting about a month and I'm pretty happy with it. It has great color and aroma, although for some reason it came out slightly flat with poor head retention. I may have just messed up and not added enough priming sugar. It has a good malty flavor, with some earthiness and a even little bit of spicy tastes from the hops.

I enjoyed the beer enough that I'll definitely try it again, but it's got room for improvement. I think next time I'll simplify the grain bill, just do a single temp infusion mash at 152 or 153 (I don't even remember what made me do the mash the way that I did), and also really hop it up.

This was my second batch of beer I've ever brewed (my first batch was 1 gal), so please share any comments or suggestions you may have.

Back