Lingonberry In Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SKuyken

Reaction score
I have family reunion coming up(of a bunch of swedes), and i have settled on a kind of Lingonberry Sour (slightly sour). The problem is that I have never used lingonberrys. I'm not sure I've even seen them outside of lingonberry jame. Searching the forums, I mostly come up with Lingonberry wine and mead ideas. Does anybody have experience with this fruit? Should I use whole fruit, syrup, juice, concentrate? Should I add it during boil, after boil, or after fermentation? Do you think I need to add anything to complement it?

I have family reunion coming up(of a bunch of swedes), and i have settled on a kind of Lingonberry Sour (slightly sour). The problem is that I have never used lingonberrys. I'm not sure I've even seen them outside of lingonberry jame. Searching the forums, I mostly come up with Lingonberry wine and mead ideas. Does anybody have experience with this fruit? Should I use whole fruit, syrup, juice, concentrate? Should I add it during boil, after boil, or after fermentation? Do you think I need to add anything to complement it?

I've never used lingonberries, but I've used red currants and cranberries. Use whole fruit if you have it, freeze it and add it after fermentation. I prefer to put the fuit in a mesh bag.

I have a red currant beer wheat beer fermenting right now. The tartness is nice, but a little one dimentional. I could see adding some orange zest to it.

I've never used lingonberries, but I've used red currants and cranberries. Use whole fruit if you have it, freeze it and add it after fermentation. I prefer to put the fuit in a mesh bag.

I have a red currant beer wheat beer fermenting right now. The tartness is nice, but a little one dimentional. I could see adding some orange zest to it.

What kind of amounts do you tend to use. Like what's the weight of berries you use for regular 5 gallon batch?

Hello.

Lingonberries are not very suited for meads, but work very well in sours.

There are some commercial examples of sours made with lingonberries. Use the whole berries, freeze them for 24 hours and then let them thaw in fridge for 24 hours, and put them in a strainer bag in your fermenting vessel.

Commercial examples:

http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/bokkereyder-vossenbes-2015/417553/
http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/mikkeller-spontanlingonberry/323662/

I do not know the amount mikkeller uses, but bokkereyder's example is much better, and he uses 350g/L.

What kind of amounts do you tend to use. Like what's the weight of berries you use for regular 5 gallon batch?

It's been a long time since I last tasted lingonberries. I'd start with 1 - 1.5 lbs per gallons and taste it after a week. You can always add more, but you can't take it out.

Back