Light lime beer, have you mastered a good recipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Indyking

Reaction score
I found this, which has interesting ideas, but it is the most recent I could find and it's been 3 years! I wonder if people in our HBT community have had recent successes with a light beer with a lime taste.

My Mom is coming from Brazil to spend summer here with my family. She is not a heavy drinker by any means but she enjoys a couple of commercial light lagers with lime during the weekends. I think they are a bit better in Brazil compared to Bud Lime and Miller Chill.

I would like to brew something for her and looking for ideas/recipes/suggestions. I supposed she would enjoy a lager better, but I'm considering an Ale too as long as it is light and crisp with a not too strong but not too faint lime touch either.

Your input will be highly appreciated. Cheers! :mug:

I would say any very light style beer with lime zest added at the end would work. Light beers are pretty hard to do right. A witbier would be easy, but not the same as a light lager. I'd choose the witbier myself. I like them.

I like the idea of a witbier with lime zest but not sure my Mom would enjoy it at all!

Last time she was here, I was not home brewing yet, so I got her Blue Moon and she did not like it! Unfortunately, she is the kind that likes light watery lagers, I found it hard to please those, but I just don't want buy her a bud lime when I could try to do something she likes.

I could do just a low gravity pilsner and add zests of 3-4 limes in the primary, but not sure if that would work.

I must say, I tried Moosehead Light with Lime this past summer and found it very refreshing. More like a citrus malt soda than a beer. But still nice.

The trick is going to be getting that base down. If I'm not mistaken, they ised key limes for the flavor, which should give a really bright lime flavor. Kaffir Lime leaves may also impart a decent lime flavor, or so I've heard.

I agree, the base will be key. I'm thinking something like this, a lager with 1040 or less OG:

60% six-row
30-35% flaked corn for that crispness
5-10% low lovibond crystal for some body

Zests of 3-4 limes (??? Not sure) at the end of boil.

Some minor amounts Hallertau & Tettnanger to bring it to around 10 IBUs.

Lager it at low temps, close to 32F for a crystal clear appearance.

What do you all think?

I'm not sure when the zest should be added. Seems the essentials oils bill disappear, even at the end of a boil.

Maybe do the centennial blonde base and then follow the zesting timing of the bluemoon clone?

The Centennial is a nice light ale. Very close to a lager in body and flavor, but maybe not as flavorless as may light lagers. And I'd give it the zest right at flameout and let it steep as you whirlpool and prepare the chiller, or just let it sit if you use an ice bath.

One thing about the Centennial Blonde is that it already has a bit of a citrusy aroma and flavor due to the hops.

Ok good point. I think I will stick with centennial blond recipe with some modifications in the hops. I need it to be low IBU since any mild to moderate bitterness for my Mom would be too much.

Also, not sure when to add the zests???? And from how many limes for a present but not strong lime flavor?

Also, not sure when to add the zests???? And from how many limes for a present but not strong lime flavor?

Add zest at flame out. Which limes are you using? Key Limes or the bigger ones (Persian I think they're called)...

For a milder flavour use 7-10 key limes or 4-5 of the Persian limes. Try to avoid getting the pith (white stuff just under the peel) when you zest the peels, it will impart a bitter flavour that is rather unpleasant.

I brewed this few times. Good success among brazilian drinkers that are familiar with light lagers from Brazil (Skol type beers).

5gal batch:
3# pilsen malt
1# vienna malt
5# wheat malt
1# flaked rice

1/2oz hallertauer for 60min
1/2oz hallertauer for 5min

Mashed at 155F, fermented with S04 at 67F

Zest from 2 limes, soaked in vodka, added to primary.

OG=1.042
FG=1.008
ABV%=4.4
IBU=9
SRM=4

Summer_Wit.JPG

Stardust said:
Add zest at flame out. Which limes are you using? Key Limes or the bigger ones (Persian I think they're called)...

For a milder flavour use 7-10 key limes or 4-5 of the Persian limes. Try to avoid getting the pith (white stuff just under the peel) when you zest the peels, it will impart a bitter flavour that is rather unpleasant.

Thanks! I think I can find both types of limes, is there a difference in the quality of their zests?

Also, when you say flame out, do you mean adding them in the kettle right after I turn off the heat at the end of the boil, or after chilling in the fermenter? I have a counter flow chiller.

I think you lose most aromas and the freshness taste of lime zest if you boil it, even for a short period of time.
I try to add these to primary, sanitized with vodka. Just my preference.

I have multiple batch experience with this one! Find on here the Cream of Three Crops cream ale recipe. It's a great base. Make sure you mash low and ferment cool. While it's fermenting, zest 5 limes (make certain not to grab any white pitch). Dump the zest into a pint of vodka. Cover and put away until ferment is done. Filter the vodka. At bottling (or kegging) add enough "lime extract" to taste. The rest, use for cocktails!

This is really great in the summer!

I think you lose most aromas and the freshness taste of lime zest if you boil it, even for a short period of time.
I try to add these to primary, sanitized with vodka. Just my preference.

Hmmm...I'll have to try your method next time I make a lime beer. How much vodka do you use?

nilo said:
I brewed this few times. Good success among brazilian drinkers that are familiar with light lagers from Brazil (Skol type beers).

5gal batch:
3# pilsen malt
1# vienna malt
5# wheat malt
1# flaked rice

1/2oz hallertauer for 60min
1/2oz hallertauer for 5min

Mashed at 155F, fermented with S04 at 67F

Zest from 2 limes, soaked in vodka, added to primary.

OG=1.042
FG=1.008
ABV%=4.4
IBU=9
SRM=4

It looks good! Now I have a problem! Centennial or Nilo's recipe? I like the idea of adding the zests with vodka in the primary. The author of radical brewing also support that line of thought for adding fruits to the wort.

just enough to soak the zest, may be 1/2 cup. I soak it the day before brewing.

Great guys, much appreciated!

Now I have 3 great options.

Centennial blond
Cream of the 3 crops
Nilo's lime ale

Hum... Hard decision!

As for the zest, I going for the vodka, just not sure yet if I should let it soak in vodka during fermentation and add it later to bottling bucket (filtered) or add the zests soaked in vodka in the primary!??

It looks good! Now I have a problem! Centennial or Nilo's recipe? I like the idea of adding the zests with vodka in the primary. The author of radical brewing also support that line of thought for adding fruits to the wort.

Nilo's recipes does look very tasty! Cut and paste time for sure....

Thanks Nilo :mug:

Stardust said:
Nilo's recipes does look very tasty! Cut and paste time for sure....

Thanks Nilo :mug:

It does have the advantage of having been already approved by Brazilian InBev (equivalent to BMC) drinkers!

I mentioned the cream of 3 crops because it comes out close to an American light lager than any other recipe I've tried without the trouble of actually lagering. That's not a great thing in my book - unless I'm making my lawnmower lime! But, I don't know much about Brazillian palettes.

One thing I forgot to add was that also at bottling, I added 1/3 cup splenda to backsweeten a bit. It adds an additional sweetness that I find in Bud light lime.

My advice on adding the vodka to bottling may be slightly more flexible than adding to primary as you can add, stir gently, and taste until you get the flavor you want. Stirring primary enough to fully mix the flavors isn't great for fermenting wort. Plus, the flavor profile of the beer will change enough during fermentation that the "right" amount of lime during day 1 may not be right post-ferment. Both will absolutely work. I just feel like I have more control this way.

Let us know how it goes.

cimirie said:
I mentioned the cream of 3 crops because it comes out close to an American light lager than any other recipe I've tried without the trouble of actually lagering. That's not a great thing in my book - unless I'm making my lawnmower lime! But, I don't know much about Brazillian palettes.

One thing I forgot to add was that also at bottling, I added 1/3 cup splenda to backsweeten a bit. It adds an additional sweetness that I find in Bud light lime.

My advice on adding the vodka to bottling may be slightly more flexible than adding to primary as you can add, stir gently, and taste until you get the flavor you want. Stirring primary enough to fully mix the flavors isn't great for fermenting wort. Plus, the flavor profile of the beer will change enough during fermentation that the "right" amount of lime during day 1 may not be right post-ferment. Both will absolutely work. I just feel like I have more control this way.

Let us know how it goes.

Sure I will. Brazilian lagers are similar to American, I think. Not completely sure because it's been a while I have had any of them, American or Brazilian.

I like your explanation about using the soaked zests during bottling for more control, but I don't see any problems with stirring the wort before primary is sealed. After all, the more oxygenated the wort is before sealing, the better for the yeast, and the stirring help with that.

I have also had success at adding the flavoring at bottling. When I boiled my priming solution, I made a tea from lime zest and filtered it prior to adding it to the bottling bucket. If you are doing it at bottling, I would only zest one or two limes with a lighter beer. The lime will really come through in aroma and taste with a couple. More than that and you will have a REALLY lime flavored beer.

I will add that I used fresh limes, picked from my own tree, and many friends thought I had added some sort of artificial lime flavor. I think when the beer is young, the lime comes through a little too much, and then fades a bit. Good luck.

I also think Nilo's recipe looks good, but I'm curious why you don't want to brew a light lager and she can add a lime wedge to the glass it when drinking it? I brewed five different all-grain 1 gallon light lager batches this winter to show BMC drinking friends the world beyond Miller Light and had success. This way she'd have more options. Although I do like you're taking on the challenge brewing of a balanced light lime lager.

Indyking said:
Sure I will. Brazilian lagers are similar to American, I think. Not completely sure because it's been a while I have had any of them, American or Brazilian.

I like your explanation about using the soaked zests during bottling for more control, but I don't see any problems with stirring the wort before primary is sealed. After all, the more oxygenated the wort is before sealing, the better for the yeast, and the stirring help with that.

Point taken. For some reason when I read "during primary" I assumed "during" active fermentation, post seal. My bad. Party on.

After rereading my first post, I want to clarify something I said. Filter the vodka off of the lime zest and use the vodka to flavor the beer. I didn't think there was any confusion, but I'd hate to disappoint international visitors because of poor word usage!

I think any light lager or ale recipe will work as a base. I added actual lime fruit (removed the peel and pith) in secondary and while the lime flavor really came through, it was very bitter. Backsweetening with splenda or lactose is definitely useful to getting a sweeter lime flavor.

You guys are awesome! Thanks for all the good advice!

Yeah, point well taken about being careful to not add too much zest if done at bottling! That would ruin the beer. I just want a nice noticeable touch!

Also, regarding just brewing a light lager and use an edge of lime in the glass... Well, she does not really enjoy that. In Brazil, many drink light lagers that way, like folks do with corona here in the US, but she does not like the lime edge. Besides I want to please her with a beer that would not be so malty and complex like most homebrews, but at the same time, not so bland like the commercial light lagers. It's hard!

Also I did get the right message about filtering the vodka off and using it, not the zests, during bottling. Thanks!

For my lime brews, I prefer making a lime extract. Zest a couple of limes, and put the zest in a jar with a lid. Add enough vodka to cover the zest. Give the jar a swirl every now and then. Let it sit for a week or two.

When you go to keg or bottle, filter the zest extract through a coffee filter, and dump it into the keg or bottling bucket.

I prefer to make a nice light wheat ale for this, fermented cool with US-05. You get a really nice, clean beer that way.

Mmmm, that sounds good. May have to put that on the summer schedule again.

:mug:

Would using a commercially available sweetened lime juice, Rose's for example, be an option here as well?

Yeah, HBT brewers have used Rose's before with some success in the end of boil I think, but I believe the zests soaked in vodka would give a "cleaner" lime taste, maybe? Products like Rose are marmalades, so they have some highly concentrated sugar content besides the fruit flavor, and I think the flavor/color on them may actually be artificial?

Yeah, HBT brewers have used Rose's before with some success in the end of boil I think, but I believe the zests soaked in vodka would give a "cleaner" lime taste, maybe? Products like Rose are marmalades, so they have some highly concentrated sugar content besides the fruit flavor, and I think the flavor/color on them may actually be artificial?

Yeah, if you are going to add lime juice, I would suggest adding it to the glass.

Is there a followup to all of this? I'm curious as to how the beer turned out and what recipe was used. I'm not brave enough to go there just yet, but it's knowledge I'd like to file away for a later date!

I doubled the recipe in the photo to make a two gallon batch for SWMBO and added 3/4 of lime zest at flame out. Tried on last night and wish I would have added more zest. There is a hint of lime but I think two would have been perfect.

image-2400391024.jpg

Back