Lifetime Cooler as a mash tun

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sailingeric

Beer. Now there's a temporary solution
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I saw this on sale at Wally World and wonder if anyone uses it. It keeps ice for 7 days so it should do good for keeping the mast temp.

I saw this on sale at Wally World and wonder if anyone uses it. It keeps ice for 7 days so it should do good for keeping the mast temp.

Save your money, go buy a $20 igloo and a $7 bottle of expanding spray foam. Drill a couple of holes in the top and side of the lid, spray a bit of the foam inside the lid and wait. If it fills the void its good, if not, spray more foam. Make sure to put something heavy on the lid to weigh it down as the foam dries. I did this and my cooler will keep ice for 5 days for under $40.00. I also added some heavier hinges and a metal clasp to secure the top.

Or just buy a $20 igloo and not bother foaming the kid....when your mash temp drops 2-3 degrees rdwhahb.

Precise mash temp is overrated imho.

Start your mash 1-2 degrees high and happily let it fall 2-3 degrees...no big deal.

What wi
Or just buy a $20 igloo and not bother foaming the kid....when your mash temp drops 2-3 degrees rdwhahb.

Precise mash temp is overrated imho.

Start your mash 1-2 degrees high and happily let it fall 2-3 degrees...no big deal.
what wilserbrewer said...except a $20 igloo cooler is hard to come by . My mash tun is a 43 qt Ice Cube cooler. I think I paid more like $40 . Keeps mash temps just fine. As long as you preheat it with some boiling water like 10 minutes ,it works just fine. I've actually had to raise the lid during mash to allow the heat to come down.

Save your money, go buy a $20 igloo and a $7 bottle of expanding spray foam. Drill a couple of holes in the top and side of the lid, spray a bit of the foam inside the lid and wait. If it fills the void its good, if not, spray more foam. Make sure to put something heavy on the lid to weigh it down as the foam dries. I did this and my cooler will keep ice for 5 days for under $40.00. I also added some heavier hinges and a metal clasp to secure the top.
why the heavier hinges and hasp...it aint gonna climb out...

. As long as you preheat it with some boiling water like 10 minutes ,it works just fine. .

Adding boiling water to a cooler can be hard on the cooler and warp or crack the cooler liner.

Easier to just overheat your strike water by about 10 degrees and let sit for 5 minutes, open cooler and when it cools to strike temp dump in your grain.
Jmo

Adding boiling water to a cooler can be hard on the cooler and warp or crack the cooler liner.

Easier to just overheat your strike water by about 10 degrees and let sit for 5 minutes, open cooler and when it cools to strike temp dump in your grain.
Jmo
yes, or that

Latest posts

Back