Lid on partially

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vera

Reaction score
Could I cover my boil pot partially to prevent too much boil off, or will I run into DMS problems?

Do you have a very aggressive boil? When I get to boil I turn my burners down a little to keep a nice rolling boil.

Are you boiling off a gallon in 30 minutes? Or just does it seem like it and you actually have not measured for sure?

2/3rds covered is good - that's what I do with no DMS problems, and it's enough to keep positive steam pressure to prevent hot side aeration...

Im gonna barge in on this thread with a slightly on topic question:

How does extract fit in here? does extract create DMS when heated also? I would love to do 90 minute boils, but would fear for the color of my beer if I needed to boil extract for 90 to reduce DMS further.

Im leaning towards it not being as big a DMS culprit since late additions of extract are the new favored method.

??

Im gonna barge in on this thread with a slightly on topic question:

How does extract fit in here? does extract create DMS when heated also? I would love to do 90 minute boils, but would fear for the color of my beer if I needed to boil extract for 90 to reduce DMS further.

Im leaning towards it not being as big a DMS culprit since late additions of extract are the new favored method.

??

DMS is not a concern with extract. The initial boiling has already been done for you.

A higher boiloff rate is generally a good thing. It means you can sparge with more water and get higher efficiency. But your rate is a little high. I would try to turn down the burner and save gas, but that's just me.

Latest posts

Back