LHBS trying something new

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glynn

Reaction score
Brew and grow is the local chain hbs in my area and today i stopped by one of the store that's out of my way normally. I just happened to be in the area and decided to drop in because i was low on caps, c40 and c60. To my surprise they have done away with all of their pre-bagged malts and replaced them with sealed plexiglass bins. When I asked them why they changed they said it was to better service the customer. Now you can come in with your recipe and weigh out exactly what you want and blend it together and then crush it right there. All you do is fill out a provided slip of paper with what you have and go. No more buying a lb of something when you only need 2 oz. I thought that was pretty cool. They plan on doing this to all of there stores

That's how Austin Homebrew Supply works in-store. You fill out a slip of paper with grains/amounts, hand to an employee & they go off to the grain room (large window you can see into to watch) where they measure/mill etc for you. You get a large sealed polybag back with your milled grains in it.

LME is available in pre-weighed plastic cartons, you just grab what you want. DME is the same but in sealed bags.

Most of the hbs store I frequent here in OH. supply the grain in a bulk containers. There are plastic bags and a mill provided, measure out your recipe and mill away.

Both of my LHBS's do it that way. Actually I don't think that is so unusual. But, I have a mill and buy in bulk so even if I only need 2 oz. I will buy a pound! I keep some crystal and other specialty grains on hand along with base grains. I can work up a recipe on a whim using what I have and brew without a trip to the store or waiting for a delivery.

Okoboji Brewing Co. does very similar to that. it's quite nice, but I still get everything by the pound any how. hahaha! it's still nice to have the option though.

My favorite HB shop in Manassas, VA (Jay's) is the same way with grain, liquid extract and hops and other adjuncts. This is the way to best serve customers in my humble opinion.

Sheldon

Brew and grow is the local chain hbs in my area and today i stopped by one of the store that's out of my way normally. I just happened to be in the area and decided to drop in because i was low on caps, c40 and c60. To my surprise they have done away with all of their pre-bagged malts and replaced them with sealed plexiglass bins. When I asked them why they changed they said it was to better service the customer. Now you can come in with your recipe and weigh out exactly what you want and blend it together and then crush it right there. All you do is fill out a provided slip of paper with what you have and go. No more buying a lb of something when you only need 2 oz. I thought that was pretty cool. They plan on doing this to all of there stores

So before they had all their specialty malts measured out into 1lb packages (or maybe a few different sizes)? That seems like a real PITA for them.

I typically buy specialty grains by the pound and get more than I need for the recipe I'm making. It really throws the guys at the LHBS off sometimes, like they're wondering why I need 8lbs of biscuit malt.

I just googled brew and grow....damn i am jealous.

Both of my LHBS are the size of a walk in closet. With reply's "we can order that"

I am all for locally owned and operated but sometimes a small chain store can supply so much more... did I mention i am jealous?

My LHBS has all their malts in bins as well, the difference is that I get to crush the grains.

I go in, walk to the back, pick up scoop, pour the grains onto a scale, tip the scale into the mill, and it pours into a bag below.

When I am done, I take it up to the counter, hand them my recipe and they ring it up. Completely on the honor system.

What I like about it, is that I know exactly what the crush is, because I can set that on the mill.

I thought this was standard practice. I'm glad your LHBS is coming up to speed with the rest of the nation/world/universe.

Its a new concept for me, normally they stocked grain in 1 and 5 lb bags. So to be able to only buy what I need is sweet

Glynn, was this the B&G in Roselle by any chance?

Having the ability to get just what I need is going to be helpful. Whenever I was up in Milwaukee I would stop at Northern Brewer who has a very nice grain room with a couple of scales and mills. A lot of times I would still end up buying the full pound of whatever specialty malt I needed, just splitting part of it into a bucket that held the recipe I was going to brew and the remainder of the pound into a separate bag. I could then bag up the recipe so it was ready to go when I was ready to brew, instead of having to take the time to weigh it out when I got home.

My LHBS (an thats the store name as well) as I learned when I was there on Saturday is putting in bulk bins on the back wall as they recenly doubled their store real estate. I can see it as being beneficial in two ways. Since they will not be selling the grains as prepackaged 1lb bags they will be paying less for the grain and can possibly pass the savings on to us, and we can get exactly the amount that we want. They really did not have the space for it before as the shop was small and cluttered before.

I can order online from Brewmasters Warehouse here in Atlanta and they will have everything ready for me when I stop in to pick it up...

If I go in to the store, they have a computer for me to put my recipe in and print out then they pull the grains and crush them as well...

Rather nice.

Now you can come in with your recipe and weigh out exactly what you want and blend it together and then crush it right there. All you do is fill out a provided slip of paper with what you have and go. No more buying a lb of something when you only need 2 oz. I thought that was pretty cool. They plan on doing this to all of there stores

I've never been to a homebrew shop that DIDN'T operate this way. :confused:

I'm on the North side, so I did see this at the B&G on Kedzie. I do like it, but I wish they had stronger bags and a stapler or twist ties, something to keep the grain from blowing all over my car. But yes, it's nice they let you take what you want, and I think the price dropped a little to.

All three of the shops I go to are like this, and only one has hops in bulk containers, it's nice buying 3/4 oz of any variety as aposed to buying 2oz of every type you need.

Having the ability to get just what I need is going to be helpful. Whenever I was up in Milwaukee I would stop at Northern Brewer who has a very nice grain room with a couple of scales and mills. A lot of times I would still end up buying the full pound of whatever specialty malt I needed, just splitting part of it into a bucket that held the recipe I was going to brew and the remainder of the pound into a separate bag. I could then bag up the recipe so it was ready to go when I was ready to brew, instead of having to take the time to weigh it out when I got home.

No, I was just in there Sunday and they still only have the prebagged grain. I have to learn to go there Thursday, they were out of half the stuff I needed!

My LHBS does this for malt. They don't have bulk hops or yeast ( :) )

Seems odd to premeasure. More work and worse product

I usually go to the one in Roselle, this will be great news if they adopt this plan there. Since I mill at home, the prepackaged stuff is convenient, but I get tired of updating my spread sheet all the time with the leftover grains I have. Plus, I would think this is a better business model as you are cutting out the labor of making all of those 1 pound packages.

One the LHBS around me is "full service", the rest are do-it-yourself. I do prefer the latter, but if i have to go to the full service* i keep a real close eye on them. They've been known to pick the wrong bucket or weight incorrectly.

*not that full service!

It was the Crystal lake location

Latest posts

Back