LHBS Close Out ...8lbs of hops 100lbs pilsner... now what?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Moose_MI

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Ok..so went to close out sale at my LHBS and scored 100 lbs of Michigan malted Pilsner and 8lbs of various hops including.

A lot of these that I don't have personal xperience with....

Apollo
Azacca
Falconer Flight
German Herkules
Huel Melon
NZ Wakaru

..and these that I've used various times.... a lot of Tettnanger, Fuggles, Magnum, Chnook, and Nugget.
Plus a little EKG, Syrian Celeia, Delta, Simcoe, willamette, and Equinox

I'm thinkIng about using Pilsner base malt with S05 this weekend with the Huel Melon but looking for any thoughts/suggestions?!?!

Wow, nice score.
That;s a lot of brews coming up. I like the idea for the pils / huel brew. Are you planning on a SMASH, or using something else for bittering, or a bit of other grains in there? If you haven't used it, a single hop is a good plan. I personally like to use a small abount of a light (10) crystal in my pale ales, just as a little flavor.

Nice score but a crapy cost. Considering you lost a close brew shop. I personally would rather have a close higher priced option.

Wow, nice score.
That;s a lot of brews coming up. I like the idea for the pils / huel brew. Are you planning on a SMASH, or using something else for bittering, or a bit of other grains in there? If you haven't used it, a single hop is a good plan. I personally like to use a small abount of a light (10) crystal in my pale ales, just as a little flavor.

At this moment I'm looking at a 10.5 gal batch....
19lbs Pils and 1lbs c20
1.5oz home grown Nugget at 60min
1oz Melon at 10min
2oz Melon flameout
2oz Melon dry hop

???

Ok..so went to close out sale at my LHBS and scored 100 lbs of Michigan malted Pilsner and 8lbs of various hops including.

Apollo

Azacca

Falconer Flight

German Herkules

Huel Melon

NZ Wakaru

..and these that I've used various times.... a lot of Tettnanger, Fuggles, Magnum, Chnook, and Nugget.

I'm thinkIng about using Pilsner base malt with S05 this weekend with the Huel Melon but looking for any thoughts/suggestions?!?!

I've used Pilsner as my base grain in several APA's & IPA's with great results.
You could use the Falconers Flight, Azacca, in any of those.

Apollo
Azacca
Falconer Flight
German Herkules
Huel Melon
NZ Wakaru

Sure, make warm fermented lagers!

Condolences with the loss of your LHBS.

Check the seals on those bags of hops and stick em in the freezer. They keep much better, (read: years) at -4 - 0F than at refrigerator temps (40F).

And yeah, brew away!

At this moment I'm looking at a 10.5 gal batch....
19lbs Pils and 1lbs c20
1.5oz home grown Nugget at 60min
1oz Melon at 10min
2oz Melon flameout
2oz Melon dry hop

???

By the way...this beer was TERRIBLE! It had zero redeeming qualities and tasted like a$$. I think the huel Mellon hops are best used as aroma dry hop. They are a nasty flavor hop. I guess it's possible the hops were old but they were all individually sealed packages. Maybe the Pilsner didn't have enough backbone to support the taste....whatever it was I never want that taste in my mouth again

Grab a bottle of Founders Azzacca IPA to find out about that hop. It's very good IMO.

I did...in fact it seems to be on sale everywhere I look. .... I think I know why. :) I actually brewed a 2nd batch that was similar but I used some c20 and c40 with Pilsner malt. It was azacca and falconer flight hopped. Better....a lot better but not something I'm going to do again. I think my Pilsner malt IPA expirements have come to an end. :fro:

Latest posts

Back