Let's Talk Water........ H2O people

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mux11

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Brewing a long time and have moved to a new city. Water is hard and you can definitely taste the chlorine... done a couple batched and not impressed with the end result and guess the water isn't helping.

What do you do for water? Tap / Bottle / filter / Other ??

Don't want to go crazy but thinking I need to do something. Thanks in advance!

A simple and cheap carbon filter will strip the chlorine out. That would be a start.
Eric

I hear RO water is very cheap in US, as opossed to Europe where we do not have shops where you can buy that in bulk. So I think that would be your best chance to improve the water source for your brewing.

I use bottled mountain water, which has the chemical composition on the label and that helps me build from there, but it is kinda expensive.

It's hard but not crazy hard. Download the Bru'nwater app and it will walk you through mineral and acid additions to make it workable. K-meta will help with the chlorine/chloramine. If you do want to use this water, I highly recommend sending a sample to Ward Labs (Google it) since your tap water may vary from the city water report. Plan B can be using RO water. I got tired of my variable tap water and started buying RO water from Wal-Mart for $.37/gal. The bigger Walmarts usually have an RO dispenser. Also, post this on the Brew Science forum. Martin and AJ know more about this stuff than anyone.

It's hard but not crazy hard. Download the Bru'nwater app and it will walk you through mineral and acid additions to make it workable. K-meta will help with the chlorine/chloramine. If you do want to use this water, I highly recommend sending a sample to Ward Labs (Google it) since your tap water may vary from the city water report. Plan B can be using RO water. I got tired of my variable tap water and started buying RO water from Wal-Mart for $.37/gal. The bigger Walmarts usually have an RO dispenser. Also, post this on the Brew Science forum. Martin and AJ know more about this stuff than anyone.
Thanks! wasn't sure what I was looking at. I also notice a difference between winter and summer and the chlorine smells.
thanks again!

Back